You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug with mask on fill layer with effect

Hi,

When applying a mask to a fill layer with a guassian blur effect, the mask cut 3/4 of the image instead of the right area, if the fill layer was moved (for giving a shadow effect, for example).

Fill layer isn't moved: mask is OK

2020-08-08_125811.png.849646dd7c05e7452713271ade97aea0.png

Fill layer is moved: mask is incorrect

2020-08-08_131850.png.ea588a1e808b05294dffa7a172391a30.png

fill_effect_mask.afphoto

In general, it would be better if mask and fill layers were only taking in account the inside of the document's area, or of a selection, and would consider/attribute white or black to the exterior area of the document, the same way it's doing when adding a mask without any prior selection (when doing this, if you paint in white/black, on the mask all the area and BEYOND will be in the original colour of the mask, without delimitations for the document's area, and the move tool is able to select only the white/black painted area, letting us move it as any other shape).

When selecting from a transparent layer (to get as selection the non-transparent area), before adding a mask, the mask will be limited to the inside of the document's area, and will show opposite colour white/black, when moving the mask.

Example when adding a mask first, before painting or inverting some selected zone: only the "painted" white area  is moved (or all the mask surface is/stay black)

2020-08-08_135746.png.dede64b69058d5a99ce7baf89715856d.png2020-08-08_135747.png.ce76f3459210d84c50e93c42dc270c23.png2020-08-08_135750.png.9ad9fc3cb99659882e2a9f23523dce60.png

Using a selection before adding the mask: when moving the mask, it's not able to select only the original selection, and add white/black outside the layer's area.

2020-08-08_135810.png.eafd1e0345d5caa4cefad7202685f03d.png2020-08-08_135832.png.fae7ea01122bdfe15a101730d0282560.png2020-08-08_135840.png.12f7bc1314f05678662fa464bcb4a8a6.png2020-08-08_135906.png.24b71df7e4984ae259c88d5462e8a6c0.png

mask_before_after.afphoto

If we create mask or fill layers before modifying them, painting, using a selection, etc., we can avoid this problem, but most of the time the worflow is to select something and add mask/fill layers... It would be nice if they behave the same from the start.

• Staff

Hi @Wosven,

I'm sorry but I'm really struggling to follow what you're trying to explain. 

The issue I found while trying your steps was different (but perhaps related to what you're reporting) 

1. Fill layer 
  2. FX (gaussian blur)
  3. Redraw issue when hovering the brush tool over the canvas. 

Can you please attach a screen recoding of your workflow?

Hi @Gabe ,

Sorry, I'm not on my main computer and caqn't record now (I don't have the last versions installed yet).

The problem isn't about redraw but about mask applied to moved fill layers.

1. Get a black and white drawing and delete white paper or draw a black shape on a transparent layer
  2. Retrieve the selection from this drawing/shape, and add a fill layer (it will get the same shape/drawing).
  3. Apply a colour or gradient to this fill layer, and apply a blur effect
  4. At this point, the fill layer isn't really visible, for it to look like a shadow, I'll move it few pixels toward the bottom right
  5. Now, since I had a selection before adding the fill layer, the fill layer only encompass the document's area, and after moving the fill layer, the colour appears on the left and top edge of the document (as explained in the second part of the previous message, it doesn't happen if I add a fill layer without prior selection).
    To hide the colour on the left and the top, I select a rectangular area that contain the black shape and its colourfull shadow, and add a mask on the fill layer. (= second image "
    Fill layer is moved: mask is incorrect")
    BUG: the mask hide 3/4 of the area it should display, as in the screenshot: only the shadow of the top left corner of the black shape is visible.
    Notice that if the mask is ABOVE the fill layer, it's correct, but if it's clipped to the fill layer, it's not.

That's usually how I procede: opening an black & white/greyscale image, deleting white paper, adding pixels to the bottom and right of the canvas, selecting the shape to add a blured fill layer to add a shadow, and finally adding a mask.

The second test, moving the layers differently doesn't produce the bug (= first image: "Fill layer isn't moved: mask is OK").

1. Open an image, delete the white paper or draw a shape on a transparent layer, get back the selection from this shape.
  2. Add a fill layer with this selection, add a blur effect
  3. Move the black-first shape layer to the top left, for the fill layer to be more visible.
  4. Now, if you add a mask to the fill layer,, the mask will behave correctly and display all the requiered area, not only part of it as in the first test. (The mask isn't usefull in this case since the fill layer wasn't moved, but the test helps understanding when the bug occurs).

The second part of the previous message was a comment about how the mask and fill layers behave differently when having first a selection or not before adding them.

• Staff

Hi Wosven,
The Fill layer behaviour is currently a design limitation - when created from a selection it processes just the document's canvas as you noticed - if you move it you will see that the fill area outside the canvas is still there (this also applies to masks, adjustments and live filters). I've talked with the dev team about this some time ago and it's something we may be able to improve in the future but won't be soon.

Does this help? The fill layer doesn't play nicely but a rectangle to hold the gradient seems to work

FWIW I redraw the shapes as curves in an attempt to get the file size down but more or less failed. I cannot understand 1.35MB for such a simple vector construction

fill_effect_mask---.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10