You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo - DevelopPersona: artefacts

the develop-persona of Photo offers a crop-tool - The crop-tool offers a rotate-button.
Clicking on it does not rotate the image, but just the crop-border (??).

After using that (useless?) rotation-button, Photo shows some artefacts, which change depending on the zoom-level and are not visibe in the developed image.

- open RAW-File
- select crop-tool
- click on rotate
- click on any other tool on the tool-bar 
the crop is processed, some transparent areas are added (which is ok and normal behavior of the Photo-crop-tool)

BUT

the transparent areas show some artefacts, please see attached video:

as far as I can say, these artefacts are not part of the developed image; -> it´s probably just a visual glitch.

(Windows 8.1 Pro x64, german, 16GB RAM, NVidia 1050Ti (most recent drivers))

Yes, the rotate button surprised me, I wish it worked the same as Photolab but hey ho...
If you need to rotate the image then put the cursor outside of one of the corner points and it will change to a rotate arrow.

CropRotate.jpg.30a59849ff8776dd9799c5d8b07c5559.jpg

Alternatively, with the cursor over the image, hold <ctrl> and you can use the spirit level to align horizontal or vertical.
The corners are a pain, Photolab crops them automatically but you'll either do that yourself or try the attached macro which fills in the gaps, it's successful 9 times out of 10. If you see artifacts in the corners then they need to be erased before running the macro. Good luck

dcInpaint-TransparentCorners.png.adbe8e24f864cd9e63a63e8c6237c4ab.png

dcInpaint-TransparentCorners.afmacro

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Here I opened a raw file, clicked develop with no adjustment. Went back to Develop persona and rotated it. Artefact in the corner. Rotation in the Photo persona works.

To be honest I think that APhoto is poor for processing raw files compared with Photolab which is one of the best

DevelopCropError.jpg

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

I tried to replicate what you get but it works flawlessly on my side. It looks like a rendering issue.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"