You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The ability to use an alternative font manager

Having just loaded Publisher I was surprised to find the only font manager available was Apple Font Book. I was hoping to to be able to use Typeface. Maybe I have missed something but I could not find any way of activating it.

May I suggest (if it has not been asked for already) that this feature will be incorporated as soon as possible. Thank you

Hi R B, Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

In case you mean a manager's custom folder structure being displayed in Affinity instead of Apple Font Book's  "All Fonts, ... Modern, PDF, Fun, ..." etc. I agree to your request.
Since your request for "availability" sounds slightly ambiguous: You may use any font manager within Affinity + will get offered the available fonts according to your manager's setting. The manager runs in background / in macOS, not directly within Affinity.

>> May I suggest (if it has not been asked for already)

Since it's our first post: You can do a forums search before posting, and may refine it in the options, for instance limiting to sub-forums "Feature Requests & Suggestions":

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q="font manager"&type=forums_topic&nodes=65,56,53,55&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Also an internet search will find forums posts. It can show different or more detailed results if the search engine supports 'fuzzy' search. Such a search can get limited to Affinity forum, too, by adding to the search keywords the phrase  "site:https://forum.affinity.serif.com".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 8/8/2020 at 4:19 AM, R B said:

I was hoping to to be able to use Typeface.

Are you talking about this Typeface? It is already compatible with Publisher, and in fact the developer of Typeface is a user of Affinity apps and had great things to say about Affinity in an email to me.

To configure Typeface for Publisher, all you have to do is go to the Activation tab in Typeface preferences and check "Auto Activation for other apps." After that, when you open a Publisher document that uses an inactive font, Typeface will activate it for you. In my experience, it usually takes a couple seconds for the font to get activated, but it usually gets activated even while Publisher still has the missing font warning up. If after a few seconds the font is not auto activated, you can just close the Publisher document and open it again. It is as though Publisher doesn't get informed right away that the newly activated font is now available.

That is for auto activation; manual activation in Typeface is flawless. If you manually activate a font in Typeface, it will be available to Publisher immediately without needing to restart Publisher.

Hi thomaso and garrettm30

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. With your comments and help from Typeface I now understand how things work. Although I (and yourselves also) would like to see Typeface's Tags available within Publisher I appreciate that is not possible with Mac OS. 

Maybe Publisher as well as "Favourites", could have "Serif", "Sans Serif" and "Script", which you could select as you do with Favourites but that might look clumsy?

I will fine tune my font collection and continue enjoying using Typeface. 

Thank you again

On 8/8/2020 at 11:19 AM, R B said:

Having just loaded Publisher I was surprised to find the only font manager available was Apple Font Book. I was hoping to to be able to use Typeface. Maybe I have missed something but I could not find any way of activating it.

May I suggest (if it has not been asked for already) that this feature will be incorporated as soon as possible. Thank you

Hi @R B I'm using free version of Fontbase with both macOS and Windows and it seems to work quite well with Affinity and I have to admit that it's a pretty stunning font manager, even without its freemium features that are available only with subscription. Font activation takes a little longer but it works. You can also browse font folder structures so that's perfect for me, since I can easily make my own font collections in Finder and then activate or deactive them on demand.

Maybe that helps.