You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo crashes

I have just installed the latest version of Affinity Photo (1.8.4.693) and I am extremely disappointed with it. I can't save (using save as) an image file (.afphoto) because the software thinks the save location is restricted (ACCESS error) when it is not (I can save in the same folder using other software). If I try to save with "save" I get a message telling me "the document contains non-pixel elements which won't save. When I try to export the image the software crashes. I think I'll give up and go back to using Serif PhotoPlus X7. The software has also crashed on other occasions.

Where are you saving it to? If it is on a NAS drive try saving to your hard disk then move it to the NAS

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

On 8/8/2020 at 6:25 AM, Fordtman said:

the document contains non-pixel elements which won't save

Sounds like you're trying to save as a raster image, but you have non-pixel (vector) data in the image. You'd need to give us further details on what you're trying to do before we can really address these issues.

Here is the long story. I am using Affinity 1.8.4.693 which I downloaded from the Microsoft store. The image file is the .SVG file (attached) which loaded into Affinity without any issues. I tried to save it as a .afphoto file in the same folder as the original and get the attached Access Denied message, no reason given. However to add to the mystery, the error message refers to saving the *.SVG file not the *.afphoto file. To rub salt into the wound also I found that there was an *.afphoto file saved in the folder. so I tried to open it. I then got the message error2.png attached (more salt).

It seems that the original error1.png  resulted from some other file saving error, possibly saving something to the C drive behind the scene. So then I decided to "EXPORT" the original file and Affinity disappeared/crashed without any reason or error message. I think it hates me but I am a nice fellow, just ask my mother.

Error1.PNG

error2.PNG

drawing.svg

One other piece of news, I downloaded and installed the latest version again and tried loading and saving a png version of the file I am having trouble with and the load worked but a save crashed. I assumed by saving Affinity would save the png image as a .afphoto file, but maybe not. Do I have the process wrong?