You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hide Extensions not working on 1.8.4 - Mac

Is anyone else experiencing this?  The "Automatically Hide Extensions" option, set in Preferences>General, doesn't appear to hide the extensions when selected.  I'm not sure if this is caused by the latest update or something else on my system.  MacOS Mojave.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 4.55.27 PM.png

As explained here, if Finder Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions is enabled, this causes all file extensions to be shown, even if the 'hide extension' flag is set for any of them. So if you want the "Automatically Hide Extensions" option in Affinity to work, that Finder preference must not be enabled.

Also, I don't know if this is something specific to my iMac running Mojave or what, but I normally run with the Finder 'show all' option enabled & the "Automatically Hide Extensions" option in all the Affinity apps disabled (so all file extensions are always visible everywhere). In testing, when I first disabled the Finder option & then enabled the Affinity one, it had no effect, but after quitting & relaunching the Affinity app it did.

So it may be necessary for you to do the same quit & relaunch thing for it to work in your Affinity apps, but maybe not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you for your response.  

My Finder Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions is disabled.  I've tried multiple combinations of:

Disable "Automatically Hide Extensions"

No change....extensions still show

Restart Affinity

Enable "Automatically Hide Extensions"

Restart Affinity

Enable Finder Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions

Reboot

Disable Finder Preferences > Advanced > Show all filename extensions

Start Affinity 

3 minutes ago, AdamB said:

The only thing I can suggest -- but it is just to see if there might be something other than Affinity involved & not itself a fix -- is to select an Affinity or other graphics file in Finder, open the Get Info window & tick the "Hide extension" box. If the Finder 'show all' pref is disabled, then the extension should disappear immediately, both in the Get Info & Finder windows.

If that doesn't happen then whatever is causing your issue must have some other cause.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've done as suggested and the extensions does disappear in both Get Info and Finder windows.  

I also checked Affinity Photo to see if it behaved the same as Designer yet it works correctly, the extensions are hidden.  So this seems to be isolated to Designer.  

Perhaps I should reinstall the program to see if that resolves the issue.