You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colors and text styles, and, and

Hello,

Why is it so that if I change the color, for example in a paragraph style, then paragraphs with that style do not automatically change color? (ver. on MacOS)
After all, that's what styles are for. I change everything in the document in one move.

I still don't understand how colors work in Publisher. Why HSL, why Lab ... what do printing houses do with such files? Can anybody explain this Lab and HSL nonsense to me? Print shops need CMYK, CMYK and Pantone.
I know that in Photo Persona mode... it can be useful there, but in the end you need either CMYK or RGB

What does Greyscale mean for the Affinity band? Once I got the answer that it is RGB color. Again - why in the program that prepares files mainly - Greyscale printing as RGB?

In Photoshop we have CMYK, RGB, Greyscale ... Grescale is one channel - BLACK, not 3 RGB channels. 

Does it not annoy you?

In this state, despite many corrections, it cannot be used for professional, large-scale production.

Forgive me. Too many incomprehensible functions. From the serious to the strange - for example, a padlock next to a color.
It's so hard to make an open padlock / closed padlock icon and some red color or something like that ??? 🙂

I greet the hard working team, I keep my fingers crossed ...
Good luck

4 hours ago, radek108 said:

Why is it so that if I change the color, for example in a paragraph style, then paragraphs with that style do not automatically change color? (ver. on MacOS)
After all, that's what styles are for. I change everything in the document in one move.

That is the way that it should and does work in my experience. If you are changing the text color in a paragraph style, and it does not update for you, then these are my guesses as to the cause:

1. The text has a local color override on top of the paragraph style.
  2. The text is assigned either to a child style that overrides the color or the parent or a character style that overrides the color.
  3. Perhaps there is a bug that is causing it not to work in this circumstance.

If you could share a simplified version of such a file where changing the text color of a paragraph style does not update as expected, then we can have a look at it. We could then point out what the issue is, or, in the case of a bug, it will serve as the starting point for a bug report.

As for the color topics, I'll leave that to others. For myself, I usually work in an RGB environment, and HSL is the easiest way to work with colors, but HSL itself is not a colorspace. It has a direct relationship to RGB, but I forget the technicalities of why. Rather than a colorspace, it is a color model (way of looking at color), and it works better for me to think in terms of hue, saturation, and lightness, than in the additive mix of red, green, and blue. I do know that red plus green results in yellow, but it is not intuitive in my way of thinking. Affinity provides multiple color models, each of which maps to the colorspace in use in the document, so I encourage you to stick with the one that works best for you.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I need to check the topic of nested styles. It's a big file, import with idml, so I won't upload.

But I still don't understand why HSL or Lab at Publisher. Ok in Photo, maybe that's why the printing house wants CMYK files anyway, otherwise it will be a mistake in preparing files for printing.