You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.4.693 HDR merge & Stack crashes continuously when NVIDIA renderer switched ON

Hi,

I've tried PNG and JPEG formats, both crashes the Affinity Photo after files been uploaded and processing been started and partially completed.

What I've done so far:

1. Update graphic driver (NVIDIA), I tested both Studio Driver and Game ready driver, both crashes the Affinity Photo
  2. Repair install Affinity Photo, does not help, keeps crashing
  3. Change renderer to WARP, seem to help
  4. Uninstall, re-start system and install Affinity Photo again and change rendered to WARP, seem to help

My system setup as below.

Windows Version            Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit   (Build 18363)
DirectX Version            12.0

Memory Size            32 GBytes

Manufacturer        GenuineIntel
    Name            Intel Core i7 4790
    Codename        Haswell
    Specification        Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    Package (platform ID)    Socket 1150 LGA (0x1)

Display adapter 0    
    ID            0x10A0104
    Name            NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
    Board Manufacturer    Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. (MSI)
    Revision        A1
    Codename        TU104-410
    Core family        0x164 (TU104)
    Technology        12 nm
    Memory size        8 GB
    Memory type        GDDR6
    Memory vendor        Micron
    PCI device        bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
    Vendor ID        0x10DE (0x1462)
    Model ID        0x1E84 (0xC726)
    Revision ID        0xA1
    Performance Level    0
        Core clock    1605.0 MHz
        Memory clock    7001.0 MHz

Win32_VideoController        DriverVersion = 27.21.14.5177

GeForce Driver Version 451.77

Edited by MarkoSA
Typing error corrected on the subject from HRD to HDR

Same here since a long Time..

Since update to 1.8.xxxx Affinity Photo crashes with no "Comment" everytime i try to stack some Files..

I downgraded to 1.7.3.481, no Problem in this Version, but every Version after causes this total Crash..

My System

Win10 Pro (1909)

i7-6700K

32GB Ram

GTX 1070TI (451.77) but also with all older Drivers i'v installed the last view Month ago..

Problem appears since 1.8.xx before that.... no Problem..

greets

Kurt

Hi Kurt!

This did work for me, I changed renderer from NVIDIA to WARP. I just completed HDR merge with large DNG files and it did work perfectly fine. Not even long process, it went pretty well I have to say.

4 hours ago, MarkoSA said:
  • Change renderer to WARP, seem to help
  • Uninstall, re-start system and install Affinity Photo again and change rendered to WARP, seem to help

Marko

• Staff

Hi both,

If photo crashes with Nvidia renderer but not Warp, it's most likely an issue with the drivers. I can have a look at a crash report if you attach one. They should be in 

%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Do you want me to drop crash reports here or directly you? Just check that folder and it is empty. I'll try to generate this crash again and update you then.

18 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi both,

If photo crashes with Nvidia renderer but not Warp, it's most likely an issue with the drivers. I can have a look at a crash report if you attach one. They should be in 

Edited by MarkoSA
Text edited to better match the answer.

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

You can use this link to upload them: https://www.dropbox.com/request/uDUdodkLFo9gxMRxWlj0, or just on the forums. Either will do.

Thanks. I just changed the WARP to NVIDIA and tried multiple times Stack and HDR function and as Mr. Murphy has meant, I can't get crash generated but I do keep trying and drop report here then.

So.. i installed V 1.8.4.693 again to test it ...

I stacked a punch of tif Files (without align them) and Photo didn't crahs at this Point this time.. but after i "De-Grouped" (Strg+Shift+G) the Stack, Photo died again -> Report 1.

Then i stacked some other Files (align them also) and Photo not crashed, but after i "De-Grouped" them and changed the Layermode from Normal to Lighten Photo died again.. -> Report 2.
I startet Photo again, changed to "WARP" and tried the same Thing.. -> No Crahs this time..

In the first Post i forget to mention that i use the GTX 1070TI (451.77) -> Studio Version.

cu

Kurt

Reports.zip

11 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hi both,

Hi, photo crashed multiple times but I can't find any files under the ...\reports folder, what might be the reason for that? I can access to that folder just copying path you gave using RUN and it opens reports folder immediately under my user account.

This is a known issue, in this thread there is a suggestion to downgrade the drivers ... and it works:

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

22 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@digi-foto.at Both times the app app crashed in your nvidia driver.

@MarkoSAHave you recently updated your drivers? If so, try to roll back to the previous ones. 

Yes, I do have the latest drivers updated recently. I do roll back If I see this the only way to survive, otherwise I do not like to roll back the drivers that much.

Another option is if you have a integrated GPU, e.g. say a onboard Intel one, switch to that for the rendering.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

I've been able to revert from WARP to my NVidia GPU (with the latest driver) for rendering after Windows 10 (1909) update yesterday to OS build 18363.1016. All I need now is for the Wacom pen pressure problem to be sorted.

1 hour ago, Spud said:

I've been able to revert from WARP to my NVidia GPU (with the latest driver) for rendering after Windows 10 (1909) update yesterday to OS build 18363.1016. All I need now is for the Wacom pen pressure problem to be sorted.

I'm using the same build, and was using the same build during the time I noticed this issue. I am starting to upgrade the very latest version of windows still today, version 2004. Lets see does that effect anything, I am skeptical about that as this problem been associated to NVIDIA latest driver already.

9 hours ago, Spud said:

What GPU and what driver version are u using?

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

7 hours ago, AiDon said:

What GPU and what driver version are u using?

NVidia 1050Ti with the latest Studio Driver.

15 hours ago, MarkoSA said:

I'm using the same build, and was using the same build during the time I noticed this issue. I am starting to upgrade the very latest version of windows still today, version 2004. Lets see does that effect anything, I am skeptical about that as this problem been associated to NVIDIA latest driver already.

Hopefully all this info will help Serif find the little gremlin that is causing all this hassle. BUT it is only causing problems with Affinity, my other 3 photo processing software are running perfectly. I was almost going to try a clean start of W10 and everything else, then I remembered about 2004 on the horizon and decided against it.