You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constant crashes

The stability of Affinity Photo has been completely ruined after the last update. Its literally unusable now. I have 60% storage free and no apps open in the background. A 20MB raw file crashes the app? 

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

I dont know what you guys changed, this behavior was happening on the beta as well. The app is unusable on my iPad. 

Vista PC in the attic 

Same for me. I thought it was because I was working on an 8000x8000 file, even though I usually work with only a slightly smaller res. Spent an hour working on a project for a client that’s due next week. The app crashed and it hadn’t auto saved any of my work. Went on my Mac and tried to work in Affinity there only for the app to crash and reset my whole system. First time in 20 years that’s happened to me on a Mac. Used to happen on Win XP all the time - the dreaded blue screen of death. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I haven’t had any work due to the lockdown and I need to get paid for this job. I’m panicking. I’m going to do what I can in Designer, but I’m to use any Affinity products until they tell us how and when they’re going to fix it....

I guess this is why Adobe takes 2 years to bring a single new tool to Photoshop on iPad lol… 

Vista PC in the attic 

Imagine if they f***ed up their new update so bad like the 1.8.4… It’s literally unusable in my workflow now and I hate my PC!

Vista PC in the attic 

I'm trying not to be annoyed with the Affinity team - they work hard to provide excellent products at an amazing price and I should know by now to be extra cautious after updates and not rely on the autosave so it's partly my fault. I've footered around with GIMP all day and can't get to grips with it. Certainly not in time to become proficient enough to meet next weeks deadline. The one thing I have always said though is that their customer service just isn't up to scratch. I know they are a smaller team and don't have the resources Adobe does, but when something goes wrong with an Adobe product you have multiple avenues of support - phone, live chat, email and the forums, but I guess you pay for it. Forums just don't cut it for support, especially on a deadline. I don't think I have any choice though, but to pony up for a year's subscription to Adobe. Ah well at least I'll get all those missing features back.........

BTW I don't mean to diminish the folks on here who go out of their way to help a fellow forum member, it's just I'm a bit frustrated today....:)

This is happening on larger files (either 16 bit or more than 30 megapixels). 

When watching videos in Picture in picture, the app crashes even more frequently even on regular 8-bit 20MB raw files from Canon 6D. It even crashes without me watching video or having any app open.

In the previous release I watched hours of content while working on a huge composite, in this release i cant even work uninterrupted without a crash.

I dont know what you guys changed, you only know that, but I know that all of us heavier users definetly experienced severe issues on iPad after the newest update. I reported on it the day I tried the TestFlight beta. 

Vista PC in the attic 

And sorry if i wasn't clear, the issue occurs throughout the working experience, not only when importing files. I don’t know if Apple updated the way ram is managed, or if you changed the way you render images, but something happened in the last two months. I swear, i’m not making it up. I think the bunch of videos from above proved that. 

Vista PC in the attic 

For example, one of the things that changed is that “Cache screen updates (uses more memory)” setting is unavailable. I don’t know much about it, but it has to do something with memory and it’s missing from the General preferences. Does this have to do anything with your performance changes to the app?

Vista PC in the attic 

• Staff

Can you attach a few crash reports please? 

Go to Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data

You will see an alphabetical list showing all crash reports on your iPad. Find and open the one that corresponds to the Affinity app that's crashing. Click Share to save to an .ips file and attach it here :)

Sorry i didnt know what logs to send exactly, there were thousands of them from affinity photo. i sent you all logs that were generated on friday, the day when i started this thread

ipad logs.zip

Vista PC in the attic 

This unbelievable. Crashed more than two times while i was working on an image taken WITH MY IPHONE, not a complex camera. This is unbelievable. Going back to the crippled Photoshop on iPad, at least it never crashed in my life. Disappointed. 

crash.afphoto Photo iPad-2020-08-14-135259.ips Photo iPad-2020-08-14-190648.ips

Vista PC in the attic 

I know that it sounds like I’m a Karen customer that only complains, but this is unusable for professional work. I am scared every time i start panning. The app crashes while painting a white color on a NEW layer on an iPhone image file. Roll this update back

Vista PC in the attic 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 10:13 AM, Gfunk79 said:

Same for me. I thought it was because I was working on an 8000x8000 file, even though I usually work with only a slightly smaller res. Spent an hour working on a project for a client that’s due next week. The app crashed and it hadn’t auto saved any of my work. Went on my Mac and tried to work in Affinity there only for the app to crash and reset my whole system. First time in 20 years that’s happened to me on a Mac. Used to happen on Win XP all the time - the dreaded blue screen of death. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I haven’t had any work due to the lockdown and I need to get paid for this job. I’m panicking. I’m going to do what I can in Designer, but I’m to use any Affinity products until they tell us how and when they’re going to fix it....

I would recommend setting the auto save interval to the minimum time 30 seconds to avoid losing so much work whilst waiting for a defect correction release.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 8/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, konstantnnn said:

This unbelievable. Crashed more than two times while i was working on an image taken WITH MY IPHONE, not a complex camera. This is unbelievable. Going back to the crippled Photoshop on iPad, at least it never crashed in my life. Disappointed. 

crash.afphoto 11.64 MB · 1 download Photo iPad-2020-08-14-135259.ips 85.3 kB · 1 download Photo iPad-2020-08-14-190648.ips 84.35 kB · 1 download

File works fine on my ancient 2016 iPad Pro, I assume you have taken normal recovery steps of closing all apps and performing a forced restart on your iPad?

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

9 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

File works fine on my ancient 2016 iPad Pro

File also works fine on my iPad Air 2 (minimum spec for the Affinity apps, with a design dating back to 2014).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Paul Mudditt said:

File works fine on my ancient 2016 iPad Pro,

Paul, Is this the Untitled.afphoto file attached in opening post?  I only ever got a file not available message when trying to download so unable to test.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

20 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Paul, Is this the Untitled.afphoto file attached in opening post?  I only ever got a file not available message when trying to download so unable to test.

I’m not Paul (obviously!) but no, it isn’t that one. It’s the ‘crash.afphoto’ file mentioned in the post that Paul quoted.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, DM1 said:

Hi Dave, sorry been out running a message, the untitled file doesn’t seem to exist, it was the black and white doggie file, using 16 bit colour profile which is extremely odd as I never knew there were 65’536 shades of grey.