You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

seamless pattern fill

If your patterns are images then draw a square and use the gradient tool in Vector persona and change the type to bitmap. Designer will then ask for and image as a pattern fill. Use the tool handles to scale your image and change the extend type to mirror.

if my patterns are vector then?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. 

I often design seamless patterns and would like a way to test if I did it correct. In illustrator I tested this by fill a large square with my pattern.

I posted a short video tutorial on creating your own seamless pattern but in raster. Look at the post "seamless raster patterns" in the tutorials section. This may help for now.

If you think I'm gonna tackle 17 different patterns in my little video, you're mistaken! I'll let everyone else come up with those solutions!

You misunderstood it, this topic is about a feature request for seamless vector patterns, not about your video!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You misunderstood it, this topic is about a feature request for seamless vector patterns, not about your video!

This topic should be merged with this other one.

Forums are a real crummy place for feature requests.

I disagree. The other thread is about a feature request for seamless vector patterns. This thread is about testing seamless pattern designs.

Forums are fine for feature requests, as long as you have a 'sticky' thread where nothing but requests are posted, with discussion of those requests being posted elsewhere.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This thread is about testing seamless pattern designs.

Seeing as the first thing the author did after getting a reply was asking about vector pattern swatches, as did people after them, the topic is now about vector pattern swatches. If it was not, this topic could’ve been closed, since the original question was already answered.

Forums are fine for feature requests, as long as you have a 'sticky' thread where nothing but requests are posted, with discussion of those requests being posted elsewhere.

So you’re saying forums are fine as long as everyone follows a specific set of rules that must be manually enforced? By that metric, we don’t even need a forum, let’s just all write to a shared Google Docs document. As long as everyone follows the rules, it’ll work just as well. The reason we’re using a piece of (forum) software is to solve a problem. Forum software sucks for this type of problem. You can’t search reliably (lots of noise), and even if you could, people often don’t do it. It’s also hard for maintainers to find these types of duplicates and act on them.

The proof that forums are crummy for feature requests is that this forum is a mess. Don’t say something is fine “as long as people do something”. People aren’t doing that something, and that is exactly why this isn’t fine. People won’t read or follow your rules, so you need a way to enforce them.

We have solutions for this kind of problem. A forum is not one of them.

• 11 months later...

If your patterns are images then draw a square and use the gradient tool in Vector persona and change the type to bitmap. Designer will then ask for and image as a pattern fill. Use the tool handles to scale your image and change the extend type to mirror.

I will say that I love being able to transform my pattern on the fly this way. It beats having to tweak the pattern through a dialogue or create a new one that conforms more closely to what I want.

• 8 months later...
22 hours ago, affinitydesignerfan said:

Adding resizable, infinitely repeating seamless vector backgrounds to elements/artboards would be useful. Seems like there might be performance issues, though…

No, as Vitor pointed out, Illustrator has no performance problems with these. Nor does PhotoLine. Actually, I hope that when Affinity finally gets proper vector patterns, it will be implemented similarly to PhotoLine: nice on-screen widgets, and patterns support a combination of both bitmap and vector. Even text.

• 5 months later...

I love patterns, and having them available as a resizable fill is something truly comfortable. I am happy to have switched to AD, but before I did, I found something incredible in Illustrator : Once you filled a shape with a pattern, you could manipulate the shape in a mesh-like style, meaning you could apply perspective to it or make it appear like it's on a curved surface. (See fish scales on the image). It blew my mind and enabled me to do stuff i wasn't even dreaming about.

So, yeah I'd love to request that feature from you amazing people at Affinity ;)

fishpattern.jpg