You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Usability request] Node handles too similar to smooth nodes

Another usability issue - a usability classic - objects look too similar.

In a complex drawing this really is annoying and confusing. Node handles look almost exactly like smooth nodes. When you are looking at many nodes it just starts to blur together and I have made many erroneous clicks due to the visual similarity. Changing handler size in preferences is no fix.

Could you please adjust the colour of the nodes or make some other change to the handles so they stand out? I think you have to choose another color - and if could be personalized it would be perfect.

Extreme example with all nodes selected just to show how it turns into a show of identical bubbles... 

image.png.1cfedfa5b1bde4668b8017424a517698.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I agree. Was sitting the other day and doing some vector stuff when I noticed that I couldn't tell the difference between them from a distance when I was simply trying to select a bunch of nodes. Made me miss nodes I wanted to select constantly. Maybe if they were a different shape like a square or triangle it would be a bit simpler, no? :)

How the Dumb Design of a WWII Plane Led to the Macintosh

When the thousands of reports about plane crashes landed on Fitts’s desk, he could have easily looked at them and concluded that they were all the pilot’s fault—that these fools should have never been flying at all. That conclusion would have been in keeping with the times. The original incident reports themselves would typically say “pilot error,” and for decades no more explanation was needed. This was, in fact, the cutting edge of psychology at the time. Because so many new draftees were flooding into the armed forces, psychologists had begun to devise aptitude tests that would find the perfect job for every soldier. If a plane crashed, the prevailing assumption was: That person should not have been flying the plane. Or perhaps they should have simply been better trained. It was their fault.

But as Fitts pored over the Air Force’s crash data, he realized that if “accident prone” pilots really were the cause, there would be randomness in what went wrong in the cockpit. These kinds of people would get hung on anything they operated. It was in their nature to take risks, to let their minds wander while landing a plane. But Fitts didn’t see noise; he saw a pattern. And when he went to talk to the people involved about what actually happened, they told of how confused and terrified they’d been, how little they understood in the seconds when death seemed certain.

The examples slid back and forth on a scale of tragedy to tragicomic: pilots who slammed their planes into the ground after misreading a dial; pilots who fell from the sky never knowing which direction was up; the pilots of B-17s who came in for smooth landings and yet somehow never deployed their landing gear. And others still, who got trapped in a maze of absurdity, like the one who, having jumped into a brand-new plane during a bombing raid by the Japanese, found the instruments completely rearranged. Sweaty with stress, unable to think of anything else to do, he simply ran the plane up and down the runway until the attack ended.

75+ years ago.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...