You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free font won't install

When I bought Publisher, I was given Montebello typeface with instructions on how to install in on my Windows machine. But Windows does not seem to recognize it's existence. I've tried both directly dragging it into the fonts folder using Explorer and using the Personalization option in Windows Settings. In Explorer, Windows acts like nothing is happening. In  Personalization, I get a red circle with a slash, as in, "No, No, you must'nt try that!" Suggestions, please.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @SusB. :)

If the font file is in a zip archive you’ll need to unzip it first. Once you’ve done that, right-clicking the file should give you an ‘Install’ option.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I would have thought that was the case, but "install" is not on the popup. Whether I right click each individual font or the whole set, I get: Open, Cut, Copy, Delete and Properties.

I do have backup storage in the cloud, but I am careful to select only options in Explorer that are under "This PC." It's a puzzle!

I finally got the Install feature by moving the fonts from my Download file to a personal file. Go figure.

But the problem is still not solved, because now I'm told they are not valid fonts!

Is this like a British-American thing? Does Britain use a different file extension? I've never had this problem with Affinity's fonts before (when it was Serif).

"Install" was not in the right-click menu originally because you need to run as Administrator to install fonts for all users.

Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Run as Administrator, and then browse to the fonts, and then highlight the fonts, right-click and select Install (or Install for All Users).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.