You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tom Spetter

I just wanted to say hello! I'm kind of new here. I'm a 30-year Adobe user and bought every Affinity product as soon as they came out. But I never really made the switch until Publisher came out with 1.8 and became usable to me. I love Designer and Publisher. They are now my go-to's. I just need a little more time to get comfortable with Photo. Anyhow, I thought I would share with you a couple of vector illustration that I built entirely in Designer. This is something I could never do as well in Adobe Illustrator. The Red Strat was built in 1.7, and the Les Paul I recently did in 1.8.

Guitars.jpg

I'm curious as to why you never put the company logo on the head stocks? Or 'Gibson' on the truss rod cover plate.

They're obviously a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. Would have been a nice finishing touch.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Impressive drawings...!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 1.2344
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 hour ago, AffinityJules said:

I'm curious as to why you never put the company logo on the head stocks? Or 'Gibson' on the truss rod cover plate.

They're obviously a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. Would have been a nice finishing touch.

Hi Affinity Jules, They are going into a stock photo project, and it's not legal to use logos in that.

8 minutes ago, Tom Spetter said:

Hi Affinity Jules, They are going into a stock photo project, and it's not legal to use logos in that.

Ah. . .understood.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

These are absolutely brilliant! Love the Red Strat (I've got one myself). Love the Les Paul as well and I like the fact you chose tobacco burst instead of the standard cherry sunburst. That said, how easy is it to change the burst coloring?

7 hours ago, dannyg9 said:

These are absolutely brilliant! Love the Red Strat (I've got one myself). Love the Les Paul as well and I like the fact you chose tobacco burst instead of the standard cherry sunburst. That said, how easy is it to change the burst coloring?

The burst would be very easy to change colouring. The curved maple top of the guitar is split down the middle so I could get a matched bookend look. So each side is just one gradation with multiple colour points. Changing that colour would just be changing each gradation, and then to get the tobacco burst, I just drew a black blob around the outside of the guitar moved it into the guitar body shape to mask it, and then added the gaussian blur effect to the blob.

The highlights look to roundish for me — kinda makes it seem like the guitars are made out of jellow. 🎸 Good work.

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

21 hours ago, konstantnnn said:

The highlights look to roundish for me — kinda makes it seem like the guitars are made out of jellow. 🎸 Good work.

If you are talking about the Les Paul, it does have an arched top. But I can see that now that you mention it. If I sampled some real maple texture I think it would help that. It would add some definition behind highlight, but I wanted to keep it all vector.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:50 AM, Tom Spetter said:

The burst would be very easy to change colouring. The curved maple top of the guitar is split down the middle so I could get a matched bookend look. So each side is just one gradation with multiple colour points. Changing that colour would just be changing each gradation, and then to get the tobacco burst, I just drew a black blob around the outside of the guitar moved it into the guitar body shape to mask it, and then added the gaussian blur effect to the blob.

Fantastic. I suppose to some with far more advanced skills in vector art than myself, that this may be fairly simple. To me it's genius and a learning moment.

Wow, those are frantastic.

I own a vintage tobacco burst Les Paul, and other than the zebra pickups (vs. silver) that actaully looks super close to the "real thing"  Gold tophat knobs and all.

Stat looks spot on as well.  

Way more impressive than I expcted (as a long time guitar player) when I saw the thread title.  Well done!