You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding Font Crashes Designer (iOS 14 db4)

Leb_

I’m using Designer 1.8.4 with iOS 14 Developer Beta 4 (18A5342e) on the current generation 11” iPad Pro. When i navigate to Settings and then tap on “Fonts” the app crashes. This bug was not present in other iOS 14 Developer Betas. Screen recording attached. 

Troubleshooting performed:

• Force-Quit Designer
  • Restart iPad
  • Reinstall Designer

• Staff

Hi Leb_

I don't have iPadOS 14 available myself, but got one of the other guys to try it on there iPad and was unable to reproduce (in both DB3 and DB4).

I notice you've got Photo - is that also affected by the same crash? Do you remember if you had previously installed any fonts and if so which fonts were they?

Both Designer and Photo share the location for fonts, so installing on one app makes it available in the other app, so if it is being caused by a bad/specific font then uninstalling a single application isn't enough to remove the installed fonts. You would have to remove both applications, and then reinstall them.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:24 AM, Sean P said:

Designer and Photo share the location for fonts

That must be a (relatively!) new feature. Quite some time ago I switched to using AnyFont to install new fonts, because I got fed up having to install them separately for AD and APh, but — now that font installation on iOS 13.x can’t be done via AnyFont without also invoking the Settings app — the Affinity in-app route is probably easier for single fonts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 8/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, Leb_ said:

Thanks for the look into this! I have also submitted it to Apple as feedback. I will try some things with Photo and see what i find! 

Having the same issue.

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

I had to uninstall and reinstall the app for it to stop crashing when I select Fonts. Now, to see if when I install fonts, the issue returns.

Just reinstalled both Photo and Designer and tried to add one font. Just one. It crashed and now won’t allow me to visit the fonts tab anymore. When I select Fonts, it crashes. Oddly, it crashes in both now, even though I tried to install fonts in only one.

• Staff
1 minute ago, iambia said:

Just reinstalled both Photo and Designer and tried to add one font. Just one. It crashed and now won’t allow me to visit the fonts tab anymore. When I select Fonts, it crashes. Oddly, it crashes in both now, even though I tried to install fonts in only one.

What font are you trying to install? Both are likely to crash as they share the same font location as I've mentioned above.

48 minutes ago, Sean P said:

What font are you trying to install? Both are likely to crash as they share the same font location as I've mentioned above.

Frosty Sky

• Staff
7 minutes ago, iambia said:

Frosty Sky

Would you mind uploading a copy of that to our internal Dropbox so we can try it on an iOS 14 iPad ourselves please? Where abouts is the font stored on your device, are you importing it from iCloud, Dropbox, 'Files/On My iPad'?

48 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Would you mind uploading a copy of that to our internal Dropbox so we can try it on an iOS 14 iPad ourselves please? Where abouts is the font stored on your device, are you importing it from iCloud, Dropbox, 'Files/On My iPad'?

Importing from Files in Cloud (Sync), not iCloud directly. I also have the fonts on my iPad. Where is your internal Dropbox? Or am I attaching it here?

Frosty Sky works OK for me in AD and APh on iPadOS 13.6, but since it’s a commercial font (available to buy from Creative Market) it shouldn’t be shared publicly. I’ve uninstalled it and deleted my copy of the file.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
42 minutes ago, iambia said:

Importing from Files in Cloud (Sync), not iCloud directly. I also have the fonts on my iPad. Where is your internal Dropbox? Or am I attaching it here?

Ahh apologies! I stupidly forgot to paste the link! I've got a copy of the font now and will take a look. I'll edit your post to remove it :)

Just now, Sean P said:

Ahh apologies! I stupidly forgot to paste the link! I've got a copy of the font now and will take a look. I'll edit your post to remove it :)

I removed it.

7 minutes ago, Sean P said:

We've now reproduced the issue and logged it with development to be investigated! Thanks for letting us know!

FYI, it’s not just that font. I have been testing and any font I add, it does that. I go to add the font, select the font I want to add after a fresh install of Affinity (both) and it crashes before even showing that the font is installed. Then, once that crash happens, I am no longer able to go back to the fonts tab. Upon selection of the fonts tab, it immediately crashes.

• Staff

FYI, it’s not just that font. I have been testing and any font I add, it does that. I go to add the font, select the font I want to add after a fresh install of Affinity (both) and it crashes before even showing that the font is installed. Then, once that crash happens, I am no longer able to go back to the fonts tab. Upon selection of the fonts tab, it immediately crashes.

Thanks - I agree it does look to be any font! It has now been raised and I've informed development of the issue! Thanks for your help with this! :)

27 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks - I agree it does look to be any font! It has now been raised and I've informed development of the issue! Thanks for your help with this! :)

a bit off topic, but would you know approximately how many fonts can be installed before the affinity apps in ios begin to complain?

8 minutes ago, iambia said:

a bit off topic, but would you know approximately how many fonts can be installed before the affinity apps in ios begin to complain?

I have configuration profiles for about four hundred fonts installed on my iPad Air 2.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I have configuration profiles for about four hundred fonts installed on my iPad Air 2.

i am not asking about the profiles section of the ipad. but thank you for that. great to know. i am specifically talking about the fonts section of affinity apps, which does not require i install anything directly into profiles.

i am specifically talking about the fonts section of affinity apps

I did wonder about that, but (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) I’ve long been in the habit of avoiding that route because it used to involve separate installation of every font in each of the Affinity apps. So although I do have quite a few fonts installed that way, it’s dozens rather than hundreds.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
On 8/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, iambia said:

This is a new bug that specifically relates to iOS 14 (which isn't officially released yet) - a single font is enough to cause it to break right now.

6 minutes ago, Sean P said:

This is a new bug that specifically relates to iOS 14 (which isn't officially released yet) - a single font is enough to cause it to break right now.

For what little it’s worth, I understood @iambia to be asking about the number of font that could be installed via the Fonts screen in the Affinity apps before they begin to complain, not about causing a crash.

Alfred spacer.png

On 8/17/2020 at 3:29 AM, Alfred said:

For what little it’s worth, I understood @iambia to be asking about the number of font that could be installed via the Fonts screen in the Affinity apps before they begin to complain, not about causing a crash.

You are correct. That is what I am asking. Not about it crashing due to a single corrupt font.