You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

remembering font colours/pt size last used with tools

Hello peeps, this drives me nuts.

I have to add some text to about 100 photos, and with EVERY one, I have to re-choose the colour I want to use. Surely it should be smart enough to keep the colour the same within a single session, UNLESS you change the colour?

I am using the Artistic Type tool but the same problem occurs with the Frame Text tool too. (and probably all other tools with basic adjustable parameters)

Thanks,

Mark.

The tool settings are separate for different documents.

You could select the tool, adjust the settings, make some text, and then use  Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection followed by Edit > Defaults > Save. That should set the defaults for all documents.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The tool settings are separate for different documents.

You could select the tool, adjust the settings, make some text, and then use  Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection followed by Edit > Defaults > Save. That should set the defaults for all documents.

Thanks Walt, that works very well for this project as I am doing so many, but often I will be doing just a few, and it would be much easier if the software simply remembered what you used last time. It could do this AND have this useful default save... so in a session, if you changed the white font to yellow, it would stay yellow for each new document within that session. At least, that's how I think it would be more useful because it's unlikely that I will be using the same settings. But this is useful, I will see where else I can save defaults to better suit my workstyle.

Cheers,

Mark.

28 minutes ago, fredphoesh said:

so in a session, if you changed the white font to yellow, it would stay yellow for each new document within that session.

I suspect that many users would not want it to work that way, though. I suppose Serif could implement an option. (That's part of the problem; some people want tool settings remembered, but when they are remembered other people complain about that, too.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I suspect that many users would not want it to work that way, though. I suppose Serif could implement an option. (That's part of the problem; some people want tool settings remembered, but when they are remembered other people complain about that, too.)

It seems far more likely that in the same document or the same day working on a specific project, you'd want consistency... one of the basic tenets of design... and therefore it seems it should be the default - to assume you want to be keeping your customised look consistent rather than changing to a global default repeatedly. I would understand reverting to the global setting on different days or each time the app is closed and reopened, but it's very clunky to have to set your default every time you want to avoid unnecessary repetitive actions.

IMO of course ;)

On 8/7/2020 at 10:02 AM, fde101 said:

Another way to handle this is to take the text from one of the photos and add it to your Assets panel; then you can simply drag that onto the next photo and edit the text, formatting intact.

sounds like a good method, but

I tried dragging the text to Assets, and the text just got moved See the video attached...

I tried RH mouse clicking on the Assets panel, and there is no "add selected object to Assets" (why on earth not!!??)

I tried the menu in the Assets panel, nothing there to add assets other than to import from HD...

I tried dragging the text layer to the Assets panel (see other video) and this did not work either.

Sheesh, this is complex for no good reason! 

So my feature request is for Affinity to remember what you used last and stick to that, and also if you drag an asset to Assets panel, it should ADD the asset even if you do not first have a "new asset category". If having a new asset category is a requirement before adding any asset, then a generic one called Assets should be added automatically. At the moment the process is painful and unintuitive.

tx

Mark.