You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If i make an rectangle which is actually the size of the template then i get some kind of white borders around my rectangle which is kinda annoying i belive this is a bug but i am not sure.

In designer it seems to be always there no matter if i zoom in or not. Even if i would resize the rectangle so its bigger than the template makes it so the border will stay, changing the color also doesn't seem to help as it still there but just less noticable.

In photo its even more weird if i use a size which is 1920 x 1080 pixels i can see a border at 1 side but by zooming in it might disapear or apear again.Making the template 16 x 16 pixels makes it so there are no white borders at all. It does seem that resizing the rectangle so its bigger than the template seems to fix it but this might get you into problems if you are having more details.

It also does seems to be a problem into the software as its not seen if you export it.

1120608480_Whiteborder.thumb.png.7eaea33fec61dbe99071c84876269f05.png2143547942_16x16pixelswhiteborder.thumb.png.ba29cf949c68f8d0148055f6716af459.png1631844880_Whiteborder.thumb.png.783fb71ce491d2a7a00497e8c84526d2.png

Edited by Combrine

• Staff

Hi Combrine,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
In Designer, that line indicates the canvas or artboard (in artboard based documents) limits and is always visible so you can see where the page/artboard ends and the pasteboard (the area around the canvas /artboard) starts. In non-artboard based documents you can "enable" the pasteboard area going to menu View > View Mode and unticking Clip to Canvas.
In Affinity Photo there's no pasteboard area, these lines which may appear in one or various sides (and vary with zoom level) are a side effect of how we render the document on screen - they don't affect the exported files.

30 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Combrine,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
In Designer, that line indicates the canvas or artboard (in artboard based documents) limits and is always visible so you can see where the page/artboard ends and the pasteboard (the area around the canvas /artboard) starts. In non-artboard based documents you can "enable" the pasteboard area going to menu View > View Mode and unticking Clip to Canvas.
In Affinity Photo there's no pasteboard area, these lines which may appear in one or various sides (and vary with zoom level) are a side effect of how we render the document on screen - they don't affect the exported files.

That seems to get rid of it in designer and clears stuff up in photo thanks

• 7 months later...

I got an even worse version of the same problem...

I did just buy Affinity Photo 1.9.1.1979 and I almost hate the extremely bad experience, compared to Corel PhotoPaint x4 - which unfortunately not work with Windows 10 in my new laptop...

*** And the worst was when I found that every photo I finally did manage to edit, got an extra white line at one side (about one pixel wide) except the last photo which got extra white edge lines at BOTH sides!

I show here the two first and you can see the thin white edge at the right side, on a black backround... But I manage to redo the last photo, which in addition got blurry at some of the ordinary edit stages - but it was possible to undo back to a clear photo and then export that one, without the strange extra white edges, even if I don't know why...

Okay I only manage do edit 3 photos and just very basic, after 5 hours (!!) which would take max 10 minutes in CPP x4 mainly because AFF is missing tons of helpfull icons / tools - as six direct Zoom and photo view % buttons, Undo and Redo icons (which work for every action) Resize photo icon, Curve icon, Colour correction icon, Set black and white point icon, Hide / Show Mask icon, Save as icon (to smart dialog window) and many other direct icons... So I was forced to do 3 to 6 extra steps before I could do anything, over and over again...

Just making one single copy of a photo and name it take 10 steps in AFF (open Edit menu, move the arrow and select copy, open File menu, move arrow and select new from clipbord, open file again, move arrow and select save as, plus select finally a folder to save the copy) before you can write in a file name and just 1 steps in CPPx4 (click the Copy icon) to do exactly the same thing!!! 

And I did only cut the photos, resize to 1080pixels height, adjust curves, add some sharpness and "export" to hiQ jpg, because it was impossible to simply save to anything else than the AF format...

Every step was a lot more complicated, even if AFF did offer less options (almost everywhere, except of many extra ways to resize, but 3 of them gave horrible results) and you have not even a decent preview of the jpg quality, only a big thumb that was completely useless! 

04z7vrum2018owl-nikon1080.jpg

05z7vrum2018owl-nikon1080.jpg

Edited by FilmDirector
Uploaded example photos and did explain more...