You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issue with Affinity apps when using Mac System Preferences "Minimize windows into application icon" option

R C-R

In the Mac OS there is an option to minimize windows into an app's Dock icon instead of into a separate icon on the end of the Dock:

772893096_Docksystemprefs.jpg.bbfac438da3e7bf6323ff974d9b0237f.jpg

It is a great way to reduce clutter in Docks that have lots of items in them.

The problem with using it in the Mac Affinity apps is quite a few windows (among them Typography, Guides, & the 4 Managers on the View menu) each include a Mac-standard yellow 'minimize window' button in the window title bar. So while clicking that button (or double-clicking on the titlebar) does minimize those windows into the app's Dock icon, there does not seem to be any way to get them back out other than quitting & restarting the Affinity app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

The problem with using it in the Mac Affinity apps is quite a few windows (among them Typography, Guides, & the 4 Managers on the View menu) each include a Mac-standard yellow 'minimize window' button in the window title bar. So while clicking that button (or double-clicking on the titlebar) does minimize those windows into the app's Dock icon, there does not seem to be any way to get them back out other than quitting & restarting the Affinity app.

Same problem for me using macOS 10.13.6. Affecting 10.7.3 and 10.8.4 versions of the apps.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

I'm not getting any problems here - you can either Right Click/Ctrl click the App icon on the Dock and select the windows from there, or just selecting them from the Window menu also makes them re-appear.

When I try selecting the minimized window from the Dock popup, the window very briefly appears & then it vanishes. Selecting it from the Windows menu once it has been minimized has no effect at all.

The very short video below shows the disappearance behavior just before it ends at the 8 second mark. It does not matter if a document is open or not -- I just get a very brief glimpse of the window & then it disappears. It is the same for any of the windows with a yellow minimize button except the document window(s).

I am reasonably sure this has been happening since at least v 1.7 of the apps & with every macOS version I have used with the Affinity apps (up to but not including Catalina). During this multiple year span I have reset the apps to factory defaults several times & more than once tried running the apps from a newly created user account, all with no effect.

I have also tried changing the minimal non-default Accessibility System Preferences I use & other Dock prefs like the genie effect & zoom vs. minimize double-click, but none of that makes any difference either.

I can't think of anything else to try.

Edited by R C-R
added more info

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Thanks for the video R C-R - I can confirm I have reproduced it on Mojave so it looks like its only affecting the (now) older versions of macOS (I cannot install Big Sur to try unfortunately).

It is actually a known issue with development, so I will get it bumped.

However with that said if you go into System Preferences > Mission Control  and disable 'Displays have separate Spaces', logout and then back in you should be able to restore your windows again!

32 minutes ago, Sean P said:

However with that said if you go into System Preferences > Mission Control  and disable 'Displays have separate Spaces', logout and then back in you should be able to restore your windows again!

Thanks. That seems to work.

Affinity Photo