You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Workbook - Which Version is it Based On?

12 hours ago, mizwizzy said:

I got all 3 workbooks and they're wonderful. My sister wanted to get them as well but all 3 were out of stock.

The only thing I will make note of is that they could have been packed better. One box had several fully inflated air bags and it was fine. The other 2 had air bags but they were devoid of air, just flat. The corners of the books were mashed and it did leave ripple marks on most of the pages of one book. Sad to not take care to pack them better as they are very nice books I'm looking forward to delving into.

I saw that complaint several times at Amazon feedback. Some said they had ordered from Serif and got the books swiftly through Amazon. I wonder if Serif sometimes does Amazon fulfillment because they stock their books there?

Designing, Arting, Writing, Crafting, Lover of the Creative Life

1610156076_ACDSLogoSignature300x85.jpg.c89db6d14f97a9fa918b538f50ce769d.jpg

Linktr.ee

2 minutes ago, ACDesignerStudio said:

I saw that complaint several times at Amazon feedback. Some said they had ordered from Serif and got the books swiftly through Amazon. I wonder if Serif sometimes does Amazon fulfillment because they stock their books there?

I had mine shipped through Amazon as well. I imagine it would have taken longer to ship otherwise.

1 hour ago, mizwizzy said:

I had mine shipped through Amazon as well. I imagine it would have taken longer to ship otherwise.

Yes, it seems that the problem with handling/packing is Amazon's fault, unless the damage occurs through Serif's packing to ship to Amazon warehouse for storage. I'm not sure how it works but I know that vendors who sell through Amazon's warehouse fulfillment program have to ship their products to Amazon's warehouse for inventory storage. Amazon is then responsible for the shipment to the customer.

Linktr.ee

1 hour ago, ACDesignerStudio said:

I'm not sure how it works but I know that vendors who sell through Amazon's warehouse fulfillment program have to ship their products to Amazon's warehouse for inventory storage. Amazon is then responsible for the shipment to the customer.

As I understand it, the vendors usually send Amazon their products in bulk packaging & then Amazon workers repackage them, possibly with other items, for shipment from the warehouses to individual customers.

Anything else would not be very efficient.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, ACDesignerStudio said:

I wonder if Serif sometimes does Amazon fulfillment because they stock their books there?

I believe Amazon always handles the fulfillment for the Affinity Workbooks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Maybe depends on country. My 3 books, ordered and delivered at different times, were not handled by Amazon. Packaging was insufficient, and one book had minor damage. As it’s used as workbook and not as collectors item I used it anyway.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Not if you order from an analog bookstore 🙃 or an online bookstore that participates in the editor's / bookmarket's wholesaler system. Since the latter aren't global it may vary by country whether Amazon is involved.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

28 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Not if you order from an analog bookstore 🙃 or an online bookstore that participates in the editor's / bookmarket's wholesaler system.

Does Serif sell directly to either of those kinds of bookstores?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Does Serif sell directly to either of those kinds of bookstores?

I don't know, only Serif will know. I can't think of any reason not to work with anyone other than Amazon (restrictive contracts, high profit participation). It would just be weird if Serif delivers via Amazon only and local bookstores would order from Amazon, regardless of directly or indirectly.

It is a price issue, at least in Germany with its fixed book prices. Here usually bookstores order from a couple of wholesalers like e.g. https://www.libri.de/en/ Those don't sell to end users like us. If the wholesaler doesn't have a book the bookstore orders from the editor. For bookstores Amazon is a competitor, not a deliverer.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 11/23/2021 at 1:04 AM, walt.farrell said:

We know they have made updates, but not what updates they've made.

@walt.farrell I asked the people at the Affinity Customer Service about a week before I ordered a copy of the Affinity Publisher Workbook at Black Friday sale, and they gave me the following answer to my question »How often are the Workbooks updated?»:

»To date we have not yet updated any of the books other than a few grammar or formatting errors when the books required a reprint to restock.»

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

46 minutes ago, edwardsson said:

@walt.farrell I asked the people at the Affinity Customer Service about a week before I ordered a copy of the Affinity Publisher Workbook at Black Friday sale, and they gave me the following answer to my question »How often are the Workbooks updated?»:

»To date we have not yet updated any of the books other than a few grammar or formatting errors when the books required a reprint to restock.»

Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad that they gave you a clear answer. It's good to know the truth, however it may effect us.

Linktr.ee