You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Workbook - Which Version is it Based On?

1 hour ago, Speed said:

There is no indication that they actually do that or have done that.

We know they have made updates, but not what updates they've made.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

We know they have made updates, but not what updates they've made.

Or how much they would affect any of the workbook projects. Just guessing but since they are basically project-based, 'learn by doing' tutorials, probably it would be minimal.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Speed said:

@ACDesignerStudio, my daughter bought me the workbook as a Christmas present during the Black Friday sale so I'll see what it's like soon enough.

= Steve

Congrats! So sweet! Mine is in my shopping cart. I saw today that the sale has already started. Will make up my mind by Thanksgiving.

Sandi

Designing, Arting, Writing, Crafting, Lover of the Creative Life

1610156076_ACDSLogoSignature300x85.jpg.c89db6d14f97a9fa918b538f50ce769d.jpg

Linktr.ee

On 11/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, ACDesignerStudio said:

Congrats! So sweet! Mine is in my shopping cart. I saw today that the sale has already started. Will make up my mind by Thanksgiving.

Sandi

I ordered all 3 workbooks with Black Friday discount. Hard decision to make putting out that much money but I think it will be helpful. The basic functions will remain the same despite updates going forward. It will be nice to turn to pages I want to focus on and read it and mark things, if I choose to. I'll report how they are when I receive them.

16 hours ago, mizwizzy said:

I ordered all 3 workbooks with Black Friday discount. Hard decision to make putting out that much money but I think it will be helpful. The basic functions will remain the same despite updates going forward. It will be nice to turn to pages I want to focus on and read it and mark things, if I choose to. I'll report how they are when I receive them.

43 minutes ago, Andreas Scherer said:

It arrived today in perfect condition. The colophon says “Edition 1.0 (reprint 2)”.

Thanks for sharing. After reading feedback for the Designer work book, at Amazon, I decided that it would not give me the value that I would want. I read 1-star, 3-star and some of the 5-star feedback. One comment, in particular, supported an important concern of mine and that is regarding the authors of the projects in the book.

I had noticed that all designers are featured but I would prefer a workbook written by the Serif staff who designed the software. I don't care for the style or projects of most of the designers featured and I don't want to learn how they do their own projects with the end results that they desire. Out of 7 designers, I'd only be interested in 1 mainly, possibly 2-3 of them. Most of the book would not be of interest to me. I prefer generic instructions that show me how to use the app, like the Affinity onsite tutes and the YT vids. One Amazon feedback comment said that because of the designers projects that the book seemed to be based more on style rather than content. This was my original concern, when I looked at the sales page for the work book, that I could not put into words.

So, I decided to skip the books and stick with the tutes and vids that focus on what I want. Instead, I bought 2 content pks, The Shizzle Style and Brush Pack and Stipple Studio by True Grit Texture Supply. I still gave Serif some revenue and these pks will give me more value for my money.

Good luck with your workbooks!

Sandi

Affinity-Designer-Workbook-The-Official-Guide-to-Affinity-Designer.png

Linktr.ee

Well the Designer workbook is, as it's name implies, a book for those who prefer to learn by (re)doing projects from a printed book instead of online video tutorials. It's a very sturdy and well build book, it's hardcover and paper pages are of good quality, thus it has overall it's weight. Meaning here, it's not something that can be read in bed placed on your legs for a very long time, so the book for sure belongs instead on a desk next to a computer. But sometimes, due to it's pages thickness the book won't lay very flat there on your desk, even it has a flat lay binding. So you have to arrange it accordingly.

Can it also be used later as a refrence manual? - Only partly, even it's index might contain the search topic, since it doesn't give overall quick answers on how to use certain tools and features, one mostly has to read through several of the project pages in order to get the idea of how certain tools work at all. Also, in Designer there are often more than one way to do something, but most of the time you only get one of them shown and that is how it was used in a particular project.

Did I looked often into this book? - I've once read through the whole book, did tried out one or two things I've read inside and afterwards only relooked into the book when I first time wanted to make certain things like brushes or styles etc. But since I use Designer and the forum here regulary for nearly 4 years, thus already knowing most things about Designer, I haven't to look often again into the workbook.

However, for newcomers in general and people who are interested in how to do/solve similar designs, like those shown in the several projects in the workbook, it's a very valuable source of informations and gives the needed insights of how to do certain things with Designer here at all!

DSC_workbook.png.d314e3b853bb52a296d7967b18fc8c1d.png

Actually the book is more used as art deco on a commode! 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Can it also be used later as a refrence manual? - Only partly, even it's index might contain the search topic, since it doesn't give overall quick answers on how to use certain tools and features, one mostly has to read through several of the project pages in order to get the idea of how certain tools work at all. Also, in Designer there are often more than one way to do something, but most of the time you only get one of them shown and that is how it was used in a particular project.

Yes, and Designer in-app Help pages do this faster and more in depth. They will give me exactly what I want. I can go straight to the answers.

Linktr.ee

1 minute ago, ACDesignerStudio said:

and Designer in-app Help pages do this faster and more in depth

More in depth, not really, certain things are too short expained there, or only explained very superficially there. - In fact some important things are even just listed as one liners in the online help nothing more, so they lack a real understandable explanation. Especially then for newcomers to the software.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

More in depth, not really, certain things are too short expained there, or only explained very superficially there. - In fact some important things are even just listed as one liners in the online help nothing more, so they lack a real understandable explanation. Especially then for newcomers to the software.

I've found that to be true in other apps help pages as well, but it'll be enough for me and better than searching in the book. I don't have professional or freelance needs. Thanks for your insight.

Linktr.ee

14 minutes ago, Speed said:

Given the price of the book it sounds like a complete waste of money. 

No it wasn't meant that way, it's more the fact that I use Designer and the forum here regulary for nearly 4 years, thus I already know most things about it, without having to look again into that workbook. - Instead for newcomers in general and people who are interested in how to do/solve similar designs, like those shown in the several projects in the workbook, it's a very valuable source of informations and gives the needed insights of how to do certain things with Designer here at all.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:31 PM, Andreas Scherer said:

It arrived today in perfect condition. The colophon says “Edition 1.0 (reprint 2)”.

A few comments:

• The second page of the index table-of-contents was obviously ripped at production.
  • The colophon mentions “Affinity Designer 1.5 and higher”
  • It follows that the “contour tool” of the Draw Persona is not mentioned

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to work through some of the examples.

IMG_20211127_142333.jpg

3 hours ago, Andreas Scherer said:

A few comments:

• The second page of the index table-of-contents was obviously ripped at production.
  • The colophon mentions “Affinity Designer 1.5 and higher”
  • It follows that the “contour tool” of the Draw Persona is not mentioned

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to work through some of the examples.

IMG_20211127_142333.jpg

Hoping the books add much value to your creative life. They look great standing there. Too bad about that 2nd page. Maybe a kind member will scan theirs and send to you.

Linktr.ee

5 hours ago, Andreas Scherer said:

The second page of the index table-of-contents was obviously ripped at production.

You can ask for a replacement!

Rücksendungen und Rückerstattungen

Wie lautete Ihre Firmenpolitik bei Rücksendungen?

Wir möchten, dass Sie mit dem Kauf Ihres Affinity-Produkts zu 100 % zufrieden sind. Sollten Sie – aus welchem Grund auch immer – mit einem Produkt nicht vollständig zufrieden sein, können Sie uns das Produkt innerhalb von 14 Tagen nach Erhalt des Produkts zurücksenden, und Sie erhalten Ihr Geld vollständig zurück. Schicken Sie uns bitte eine E-Mail an affinityreturns@serif.com mit Ihrem Namen, Ihrer Bestellnummer und dem Grund für die Rücksendung, um den Vorgang einzuleiten. Wenn Sie eine materielle Bestellung zurückgeben möchten, wird Ihnen ein Etikett für die Rücksendung per E-Mail zugeschickt. Sollte Ihnen kein Drucker zur Verfügung stehen, können wir Ihnen auch ein gedrucktes Etikett schicken. Fordern Sie dieses Etikett bitte ausdrücklich an. Nach dem Eingang der Rücksendung bei Serif dauert es ca. 2 bis 3 Tage, bis die Rückerstattung autorisiert wird.

Achtung: Porto- und Versandkosten für die Rückgabe materieller Bestellungen fallen allein in Ihre Zuständigkeit. Wir empfehlen Ihnen nachdrücklich, die Porto- und Versandquittung für Ihr Paket aufzuheben, falls das Paket unterwegs verloren geht. Wir können Ihre Rückerstattung erst veranlassen, wenn wir die Ware erhalten haben.

On 11/27/2021 at 5:48 PM, ACDesignerStudio said:

Too bad about that 2nd page. Maybe a kind member will scan theirs and send to you.

The table-of-contents is perfectly readable.

On 11/27/2021 at 7:59 PM, v_kyr said:

You can ask for a replacement!

As I said above, I bought the Affinity Designer Workbook used on eBay and not directly from Serif, so I won't claim a replacement from them. 😉

Here is the rippled sheet with the second page of the toc and the green backside:

P1290001.jpg

P1290002.jpg

On 11/27/2021 at 2:21 PM, Andreas Scherer said:

It follows that the “contour tool” of the Draw Persona is not mentioned

It makes sense from an economic and ecological point of view not to discard a printed edition altogether if only a few passages are not up to date. – But:

To shorten the discussion, avoiding its doubts and irritations it could be a useful workaround for Serif simply to create an additional leaflet including all topics, tools and new features which did not make it into the printed books, given as a free supplement to either all or just new book purchases either as print or PDF.

Note, in fact Serif is well aware of this interest and literally highlights related spots in general and in particular in its online product descriptions, e.g.:

821062799_affinitytechspecsNEWfeatures1.thumb.jpg.19eb0c841c14bae7f8bfe2f609619bf0.jpg

671639209_affinitytechspecsNEWfeatures3.thumb.jpg.bcdc42afdcee6b7600cec4e3c1edd9af.jpg

830825225_affinitytechspecsNEWfeatures2.jpg.65ff30dad8ce66ceaadbd92ae70a82e2.jpg

In the printed book market it is a known habit for instance to add a single printed sheet called "errata" containing typos. In case of new insights which differ from the main product, it may have even more pages. For instance as described by this scientific publisher in their "Policy and best practice: errata & corrigenda":

https://www.elsevier.com/editors/perk/policy-and-best-practice-errata-And-corrigenda

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I got all 3 workbooks and they're wonderful. My sister wanted to get them as well but all 3 were out of stock.

The only thing I will make note of is that they could have been packed better. One box had several fully inflated air bags and it was fine. The other 2 had air bags but they were devoid of air, just flat. The corners of the books were mashed and it did leave ripple marks on most of the pages of one book. Sad to not take care to pack them better as they are very nice books I'm looking forward to delving into.

IMG_20211202_130207542_HDR.jpg

5 hours ago, mizwizzy said:

The only thing I will make note of is that they could have been packed better. One box had several fully inflated air bags and it was fine. The other 2 had air bags but they were devoid of air, just flat. The corners of the books were mashed and it did leave ripple marks on most of the pages of one book. Sad to not take care to pack them better as they are very nice books I'm looking forward to delving into.

That's unfortunate. You can contact Serif (probably affinityorders@serif.com) to arrange for replacement copies (though if they're out of stock that would take awhile).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1