You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After downloading  the 1.8.4.693 there seems to be major problems on both Win and Mac.

The problems that I've seen are these:

Enourmous lag on some pixel brushes - not all but great many. Even in low resolution and small canvas. (on Mac and Win 10 - I have all the latest updates and drivers)

Duplicating with CMD drag on MAC is a painful. There is about 10+ second lag when duplicating a layer folder with pixel content. It's is nearly un-usable. (Mac only)

And now a message to developers:

I've used Affinity for years now and it's my primary software for working And I have both win and mac versions of Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher. My precious time has gone to debugging and searching solutions from this forum and that shouldn't be the case. I could go and write the wintab legacy thingy and get it working but why should I do that? As a customer and a user why should I be happy about having to resort to hacks? And on Mac I cannot anyway because there's no way of rolling back.

This is not the first time when AD is having problems with win tabs and inks, and I've rolled back to older versions just to be able to work. At work I cannot because I bought it through Apple. So I now have to resort to other softwares to do my work.

I'm really reluctant to do any more updates as the software is becoming worse and worse. I've loved Affinity products dearly but I don't care about fancy features if it means that I can't use the software that I've bought on both MAC and WIN along with few hundred euros on custom brushes and assets. I know you will fix the issues at some point, but I'm so irritated at this point that I'm going to use another software for now and come after few months to see if the problems have been solved.

2 hours ago, katixy said:

Duplicating with CMD drag on MAC is a painful. There is about 10+ second lag when duplicating a layer folder with pixel content. It's is nearly un-usable. (Mac only)

FWIW, I am not seeing anything like that on my old iMac with any files I have created or downloaded from the forum & my iMac (specs in my sig below) is far less powerful than most Macs.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R are you using a Wacom tablet?

@katixy I agree with your developer message. I use Affinity for my business, it's a key peice of software. When v1.8 hit there were issues that completely stopped me from being able to work (adding an artboard destroyed the positioning of all elements, and the boolean functions were broken. I produce files to run on a plotter, without those two functions the software was useless). Serif's response to me was akin to shrugged shoulders - they offered me a small discount so I could buy a non-appstore version to downgrade. It seems like the pre-release testing is still run like a plucky startup, where users are expect to be curious hobbyists and bugs are something to be dealt with later. The suite has moved beyond that - there needs to be a realisation that this is now genuine business software, and releases should be thoroughly tested. There are bugs that are affecting me that have apparently been addressed, but I just don't trust that there won't be other issues so I'm staying away from updating.

7 minutes ago, BofG said:

@R C-R are you using a Wacom tablet?

No. I have no Wacom or any other graphic tablet, other than my iPad.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

No. I have no Wacom or any other graphic tablet, other than my iPad.

Seems like it might be related to that, although it's only the Windows version that states a change to how tablets are implemented (a change for the worse it would seem).

2 hours ago, BofG said:

Seems like it might be related to that, although it's only the Windows version that states a change to how tablets are implemented (a change for the worse it would seem).

The OP has not mentioned using a graphics tablet, but has mentioned lags with some brushes on both Mac & Windows 10. Plus, as I understand it, the change in the Windows version had something to do with Windows Ink issues some Windows tablet users were having with previous versions, so what makes you say this is a change for the worse?

Affinity Photo 

They mentioned wintab, so maybe they use a tablet on the Mac too, just thought that might be why they have issues and you don't. I've been considering a Wacom One lately, so been following what people on here say about things related, and there have been a few people with issues on 1.8.4 who have had to either roll back or force the old pen behaviour to overcome an issue with bad lagging.

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

The OP has not mentioned using a graphics tablet, but has mentioned lags with some brushes on both Mac & Windows 10. Plus, as I understand it, the change in the Windows version had something to do with Windows Ink issues some Windows tablet users were having with previous versions, so what makes you say this is a change for the worse?

Yes, I'm using Wacom Intuos Pro. Actually, I was so in trouble at work today (I rely on Affinity Designer so much) that I clinged to small hope based on your first answer (that you don't have any issues on mac) and did an uninstall and reinstall. Gladly, that solved the laggy brush on most parts at least it seems. But it didn't fix the CMD drag.. However I can go around it by using just copy-paste shortcuts. A little more timeconsuming, but it's better than nothing. 

The lag seemes to happen when using certain brushes with an image as shape, but not all of them. It's weird. The normal markers etc were working fine.

I will try the same thing on my windows PC. The lag is really horrible.

And thanks for your comments! 

This might help on Windows (it forces the app to use the previous pen support):

It's a shame that these updates are still rolling out without being properly tested.

Edit: the above link seems to not work, maybe this one will:

20 hours ago, BofG said:

This might help on Windows (it forces the app to use the previous pen support):

It's a shame that these updates are still rolling out without being properly tested.

Edit: the above link seems to not work, maybe this one will:

Thanks! I'll try that too!