You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some images look strange after export to PDF (print)

Hi there, I am trying to export my first Publisher document to print (see image 1) - to preview before I send to print. The images (.PSDs) come up looking very strange and it doesn't matter if I delete then and replace, or 'replace document' they come up looking  odd on the exported PDF (see image 2). The document is 24pp and about half the images look OK. The other half are either totally corrupted or they look like the images below. It could be that I don't understand file formats or embedding v linking and so on. It's the sort of thing I do with no probs on InDesign. I'm new to Affinity so appreciate any tips or links to relevant tutorials and so on.

My system is Mac OS Mojave - 10.14.6, MacBook Pro 2017.

Edited: I am on the latest version of Affinity too - updated the other day.

Many thanks in advance.

Rebecca S

1. Screen shot of page on Publisher.png

2. Screen shot of page after export to PDF (print).png

Edited by Rebecca Stewart
Added more info

Thank you for your response Pauls! Yes I've tried that and the result is about 1000 x better!  On the odd one though, I'm getting a fine grey line around the  image (see attached). Would that be poor cropping do you think?

If you have any ideas or tips about working in two colour spaces that would be great. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, I just don't know what it might be.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 9.54.14 am.png

If you deactivate "Image smoothing / antialiasing" (maybe wrong wording) in the Acrobat preferences the lines will vanish ... but this can't be the real solution. Did you cover some areas of the images with white elements? See attached image from Photoshop. If you did so, maybe you should manually "clean" the images instead of doing it the quick and dirty way. ;)

whiteareas.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

One thing that could be related is that one I rasterised the images, the file now has (pixel) after the name in the layers panel - instead of (linked). Once the file got (pixel) it disappeared from the Resources Manager entirely. Also, the option to 'replace document' - either in the resources manger or on the Toolbar - has also disappeared.  Now my Resources Manager is empty and I can't replace any of these files. Does rasterising mean they're embedded in the  doc and can't be moved.

Once I deleted the file entirely and it came back as (linked) and is now the only thing in the Manager.