You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Overlay, Rendering Issues to .pdf

Hello,

Since there's not Feather option on placed images, use gradient overlay to simulate.

First image is what it looks like in Publisher (nice soft feather), image after the control view screen snip is what is rendered

Getting a bad render.

image file is 300 dpi, render is to 300dpi
rgb profile  .....1966-2.1 profile for both image and .pdf rgb color profile

Thank You

looks-like-in-publisher.PNG

Gradient Overlay tool.PNG

pdf in rgb.PNG

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the response.

I manually altered the .tiff file to feather the image. This means I can't tweak the feathering, but I needed to get it done. 

Tried with both RGB 1966 and CMYK and included a screen shot. Very similar result from both (CMYK might have been a little less magenta).

I ran into issues with numerous layer effects not being close to what is on screen, particularly when blend modes were anything other than 'normal.'  Thing is, what I was using many of those for was to do a slight colorize layer to make images match a motif.

When I turned off "Rasterize Unsupported Properties," and exported, the issue items were solid blocks , which from what I can tell, means they were being rasterized.

I turned off all the layer FX, so it won't be as subtle, but I need to get the document out.

I expect to have to fix banding in rasterized vector gradients, maybe tweak alpha values a bit, do some slight color adjustment from screen to file to actual print. That's expected. This stuff is far beyond that.

Also ran into issues with Photo when applying a single adjustment layer. Sending a few screen shares and files.
  Used an adjustment layer to get the image I wanted (make an old photo look more like an illustration).
   If I collapsed/flattened the image or directly exported to .tiff while keeping the adjustment layer, I would not get the image I saw on the screen but instead the washed out one.
  The only way I could find to get the image as it was supposed to appear was to export it to .pdf. If I brought in that .pdf to photo, it was one layer and I could save as a .tiff

To use an analogy, seems to me these issues are about rasterizing dynamic layers properly in-program display and the export render engine not talking the same language and sometimes understanding words and sometimes not.

Best Regards

export settings.gif

rgb-export-settings.gif

adjustment-layer.zip