You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting the wrong frame

Several times in my use of the new Publisher 1.8.4 release, I have observed that when I try to select one frame, another frame quite removed gets selected instead. After noticing this a few times, I was able to cut down a document I was working on to the minimum to illustrate.

Open the attached document, and with the move tool, try to select the top text frame. When I do that, the bottom text frame gets selected instead, even though the two frames are not overlapped at all from what I can tell. And the layer order seems to make a difference. If I swap the order, then I can select each layer just as I would expect.

I have made a video demonstrating what I have described.

Reporting from macOS 10.14.6.

wrong_frame.afpub

Same thing here, I think it has to do with the Filler Text. If you use real text in the frame it is okay.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

> Same thing here, I think it has to do with the Filler Text. If you use real text in the frame it is okay.

I get the issue with any new created text frame in this document, regardless of any content, with empty frames, too. Then the issue transfers from the previous to the new frame, as if always the top most frame is affected.

When I copy this two frames to a different document the issue occurs, too, while newly created frames don't.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

24 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I get the issue with any new created text frame in this document, regardless of any content, with empty frames, too. Then the issue transfers from the previous to the new frame, as if always the top most frame is affected.

When I copy this two frames to a different document the issue occurs, too, while newly created frames don't.

While that may be true, Old Bruce is right that for those two frames the issue is related to the use of Filler Text. If I Expand the text in the frame labeled Bottom Frame, the issue goes away and either frame is selectable by clicking on it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Old Bruce is right that for those two frames the issue is related to the use of Filler Text. If I Expand the text in the frame labeled Bottom Frame, the issue goes away and either frame is selectable by clicking on it.

I don't see the relationship to filler text in your description, it sounds rather like text frame properties (e.g. size). Another test for filler text as being the culprit: If I simply apply "Revert Defaults" to the existing bottom frame then the issue disappers (with filler text!). Whereas deleting all text content (= removing all filler text!) does NOT prevent the issue.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi, all. Thank you for joining in the investigation.

I can't quite nail down exactly what the cause is, but unexpanded filler text is not the issue. I discovered the issue with real text in a real document, and then I copied the two frames with the issue into a blank document and replaced my real text with filler text for the purpose of uploading.

Here is a second version of the test that does not involve actual filler text.

This may be a clue: if you delete the last paragraph return in the bottom frame, the issue goes away. But if you add it back in, the problem resurfaces.

wrong_frame_v2.afpub

• 1 month later...

Based on the suggestion in a related post…

I have tested my file wrong_frame_v2.afpub (two posts up) in the 1.9.0.2 Designer beta, and it appears the issue is resolved. (I also compared against Designer 1.8.4 to confirm that it is not a Publisher-specific issue, and indeed the problem is in the release Designer as well).

• 1 month later...