You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It is quite annoying to overcome the problem with the TEMP directory set to another location than the default windows one. It would be nice to provide an installation ZIP file, so we can extract its content to "somewhere else" and run SetupUI.exe from another location. For example from the very same directory in the changed TEMP directory, where it originally fails to run from. :-)

Have you tried unzipping the installer executable to “somewhere else”?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

35 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Have you tried unzipping the installer executable to “somewhere else”?

Unzipping won't work, as the installer executable is not a zip file. But one can run "msiexec" to extract the contents, I believe.

I've never tried it, though. But I've read posts from corporate users mentioning doing that for remote deployment, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Unzipping won't work, as the installer executable is not a zip file.

What prompted me to make the suggestion is that many installers are self-extracting archives with some extra code to run the extracted setup file. Some zip utilities will happily unzip such a *.exe file directly; others require the user to rename it to *.zip first.

Alfred spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Some zip utilities will happily unzip such a *.exe file directly; others require the user to rename it to *.zip first.

Renaming to .zip is not sufficient, at least for Windows built-in zip support. Some third-party utilities may handle it, I suppose. Msiexec (also built-in) is where I would start, if I wanted to experiment.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Renaming to .zip is not sufficient, at least for Windows built-in zip support. Some third-party utilities may handle it, I suppose. Msiexec (also built-in) is where I would start, if I wanted to experiment.

There's no need to rename the exe file, since exe files are package files. They just unpack without using another app. I was able to unpack the AP photo exe file using 7zip, into a folder.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

10 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

There's no need to rename the exe file, since exe files are package files. They just unpack without using another app. I was able to unpack the AP photo exe file using 7zip, into a folder.

Yes, 7-Zip is the utility that I had in mind when I mentioned that some of these things will unzip *.exe files without any need for the filename extension to be changed first, but others (including the built-in extraction facility in recent versions of Windows) won’t work unless you rename the file.

Alfred spacer.png

What version of 7-Zip do you use to unzip the installation file? I have tried version 19.00 (the latest stable) and although it unzipped the file, the resulting files are broken. For example, instead of directories there are several files named "fil_DictionariesFolder_0.0".