You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does a "nested" filter layer in the layers panel have a different meaning compared to a filter next to the layer?

I'm following a Affinity Photo tutorial step by step and the instructor's video shows pic one, with the filter next to the layer. 

When I do the same thing, the filter is nested underneath the layer. Shown in picture two. Is this at all significant in terms of how Photo treats what you're doing? Just an unimportant visual change that's occured due to updates to the software?

Pic_One.thumb.png.517cfd8cf8d1e39c245c1d80f879dad6.pngPic_Two.thumb.png.b0654e27bcad01a8ebfbd00ebcec9d4f.png

The filter in your example will only have an effect on the layer called Fix. If it was on top of the layer it would affect the Fix layer and everything underneath that. You don't have anything under it. Try a quick resize and duplication of the Layer Fix then move the filter to the top of both and then nested as a child layer. 

There is a 'preference' you can change in the Assistant go to View > Assistance Manager.

845390041_ScreenShot2020-08-05at8_27_34AM.png.ad78c7cdb2e709171856d3fd35840cbb.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

In the first screenshot it is just letting see that the layer "Fix" has an adjustment or filter inside it.
Expanding the layer, as in your second screenshot, allows you access to the added item/s. Items added within a layer like this will typically only affect the layer they are within.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

24 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The filter in your example will only have an effect on the layer called Fix. If it was on top of the layer it would affect the Fix layer and everything underneath that. You don't have anything under it. Try a quick resize and duplication of the Layer Fix then move the filter to the top of both and then nested as a child layer. 

There is a 'preference' you can change in the Assistant go to View > Assistance Manager.

845390041_ScreenShot2020-08-05at8_27_34AM.png.ad78c7cdb2e709171856d3fd35840cbb.png

Thanks! Very helpful.