You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 screens are a big problem

in Publisher and also in the other two programs, I suffer a lot from the fact that the palettes (studio) are not saved with 2 screens. As soon as the computer goes into sleep mode and wakes up again, everything is on one side only. If I want to move the group to rehcts, only some pallets move, others remain. some are left with the separation between the screens - with all apps, several times a day. that's a very bad job as a professional.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 3:53 PM, soerendaniel said:

As soon as the computer goes into sleep mode and wakes up again, everything is on one side only.

– What connection ports do you use at your mac and the external monitor?
– Are other apps also affected, for instance the Finder or document windows of Apple apps as Text Edit or QuickTime?

I experienced the same behavior when I temporarily had the external monitor connected via HDMI –> HDMI. Quite useless this way when you always work with 2 screens. It even occurred when I simply switched the external monitor to stand-by (NOT entirely off) without closing the macbook's lid. This disturbing oddity doesn't occur if I have it connected via Thunderbolt/mini-DisplayPort –> DVI.

I never found out why a different connection port can cause this behavior while another connection doesn't. – Any hints appreciated!

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 4 weeks later...

I get this issue, too. Here a sample with the 2nd screen positioned above. Note at 0:15 sec some panels are entirely off the lower screen, if I would release the mouse button then they would remain invisible.

@soerendaniel, FYI: your video occurs in my browser as blank white only + sound, a right-click on the video seems to recognize Audio only. I need to download the file to get its content displayed. Also note that a .mov file might not work on some computers, in particular on windows, since the .mov format is Apple specific and requires Apple Quicktime. A more flexible video file format would be .mv4 for instance. You could use the free VLC Player.app to convert a .mov, this also would reduce the file size a lot without noticeable reducing its quality.

1096294892_videoaudiomov.jpg.d1443a4d2ced37add65680d85d00f174.jpg

Und: wie hast du denn dein ursprüngliches Problem gelöst, um zu vermeiden, dass Affinity Fenster im macOS Ruhezustand verschoben werden?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hey @soerendaniel - are you using the LG 49WL95C-W 49 Inch 32:9 UltraWide? 

If so, have you split the 5120 x 1440 resolution into two 2560 x 1440 regions using the OSD or some other software? Please also confirm which two connections you are using. 

What I understand about this monitor is that you can drive the full 5120 x 1440 display or split it into multiple regions such as 2560 x 1440 but I assumed this was done by a single cable. You said you have two connected to it which I find out. Does each cable go into a different machine using Picture-By-Picture?

in principle there are 2 monitors. On the Mac I go out with 2 cables THB2-> HDMI and then monitor left with cable HDMI1 and right HDMI2 -> there are "2 monitors". For my system it is 2 physical monitors and this is how they are treated. The problem is that ONLY with the Affinity programs the windows "hang" when I move a group of monitors to the other.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-16 um 17.02.50.png

On 9/15/2020 at 11:01 AM, thomaso said:

YES YES

that's exactly the problem and with 2 monitors, if they are large and rearranged, that nevt - I often have to change, depending on how customers are with me and what I'm doing.

I get this issue, too. Here a sample with the 2nd screen positioned above. Note at 0:15 sec some panels are entirely off the lower screen, if I would release the mouse button then they would remain invisible.

@soerendaniel, FYI: your video occurs in my browser as blank white only + sound, a right-click on the video seems to recognize Audio only. I need to download the file to get its content displayed. Also note that a .mov file might not work on some computers, in particular on windows, since the .mov format is Apple specific and requires Apple Quicktime. A more flexible video file format would be .mv4 for instance. You could use the free VLC Player.app to convert a .mov, this also would reduce the file size a lot without noticeable reducing its quality.

1096294892_videoaudiomov.jpg.d1443a4d2ced37add65680d85d00f174.jpg

Und: wie hast du denn dein ursprüngliches Problem gelöst, um zu vermeiden, dass Affinity Fenster im macOS Ruhezustand verschoben werden?