You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do I lose anything when updating?

I'm fairly new to Affinity Photo and have now encountered my first update (to 1.8.4). If I update, will my Library contents be preserved? Or should I copy a specific file and paste it into the new version? If the latter, which file is it -  I'm using Windows 10?

Many thanks.

I am of the better safe than sorry persuasion.  And have only very occasionally discovered that an update — especially during the beta process — would wipe out my custom imports.   I have separate folders in my computer for backup copies of everything I have imported for my Affinity Apps:  assets, brushes, macros, palettes, styles, textures.  Made them from each panel, using the “Export ...” option.   So if your update to 1.8.4 accidentally misses some of your Library contents (or any other custom contents) you could easily import them again.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

As for that, I've been healed of automatic updates on macOS since the disaster with version 1.8, so I'm waiting 2 weeks until the intrepid ones have written and published all their reports. 😬

I did that but found when the next released was out, new problems were identified.  If I wait for errorless release, I would never update to avoid problems.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

6 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Just 2 weeks my friend - or not during deadlines at least like I trapped in last time. Or are you the first to update your macOS?

If you are first or last to upgrade (except as noted deadlines) you get the same product until a new update.  To date, I haven’t seen a release of known problems, like 1.8.4.1. 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

8 minutes ago, JMichael said:

I'll try the Export solution and hope that it won't be required.

A bit faster may be just to copy the according preference folder on your disk.
for mac:  ~\Library\Application Support\
for windows:  %AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\

Compare:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/89546-copying-over-user-data-from-beta-to-retail/  
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/89539-copying-over-user-data-from-beta-to-retail/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso  thank you so much for posting this!!!  I couldn’t remember how to do that, and floundered for a little trying to find this in the forums.   I am sure that the procedure would work with copying from one version (1.8.3) to 1.8.4.  Hopefully @JMichael will see your post.  It would definitely save him scads of time!🥵

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

19 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

I am sure that the procedure would work with copying from one version (1.8.3) to 1.8.4.

For simple app updates the procedure should not be necessary. But it may help instead or after factory resets (app lunch with CTRL key), to reset the app to the wanted custom state.

Whereas for colour swatches palettes I appreciate the export workflow, too, because it enables me to import selectively certain palettes into other documents.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

For simple app updates the procedure should not be necessary. But it may help instead or after factory resets (app lunch with CTRL key), to reset the app to the wanted custom state.

Whereas for colour swatches palettes I appreciate the export workflow, too, because it enables me to import selectively certain palettes into other documents.

Right!  I do the same thing, especially Styles, Assets, and Palettes.  My Photo doesn’t need all my Assets, my Publisher definitely doesn’t need all my Palettes, and my Designer doesn’t need all my raster brushes.  That is what “Edit in... “ is for, in my book.  Of course, all these apps probably don’t really need me!!!!🤪