You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey, I am trying to create a circle with an outer glow, but the circle itself needs to be transparent, showing only the outer glow.

However when I try to change the colour of the circle to 0% opacity, the glow effect disappears. Or if I add another circle on top (without glow) and then subtract that from the circle below it also removes the glow effect. I just can't seem to figure out how to do this.

So in short I am trying to achieve a circle with 0% opacity with a white outer glow. Is this possible? Please help me.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Jason Gibbins said:

So in short I am trying to achieve a circle with 0% opacity with a white outer glow. Is this possible? Please help me.

Hi @Jason Gibbins,

try this:

1. Group the circle with itself (= hit CTRL+g)
  2. Add the outer glow to the group. Make sure that only the group is selected not the circle within.
  3. Assign the circle a 100% black fill and set it's fill mode to subtract (in the layers panel).

This should do the trick.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

13 minutes ago, dominik said:

This should do the trick.

I am too stupid for this and I thought I followed your instructions carefully. :(Could you please provide a sample file?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I am too stupid for this and I thought I followed your instructions carefully. :(Could you please provide a sample file?

Try this

d.

transparent-outer-glow.afdesign

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

and now the same file once again in CMYK. 😀

That's a valid point and proves that you are not too stupid 🙂
At least the OP didn't mention the required color space and perhaps RGB will do.

But above mentioned Erase Mode doesn't solve this either.

d.

no-transparent-outer-glow-cmyk.afdesign

7 minutes ago, dominik said:

That's a valid point and proves that you are not too stupid 🙂

You saved my day! :D

P.S.: @dominik Your signature is saying you downgraded for AP and APu?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

16 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

P.S.: @dominik Your signature is saying you downgraded for AP and APu?

Too many numbers are flying around. Fixed that. Looking forward to the next version number increase, though (but I digress).

d.

20 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

and now the same file once again in CMYK. 😀

Hi @Joachim_L

even though @G13RL has posted a very good solution to the OP's question I could not understand why my solution seems not to work in CMYK color space.

I tried again and figured out the mistake. It is important to assign not just pure black (= 100% K) to the circle but a full black with all four colors set to 100%.

See the attached AD file.

d.

transparent-outer-glow-cmyk.thumb.jpg.6f9d62b4bf4dad3517bd3037eaceb79a.jpg

transparent-outer-glow-cmyk.afdesign