You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi I am trying to open raw files CR3 from my new Canon R5 and before I develop and after all the photos have a crazy purple tint and are not cropped correctly. What am I doing wrong? Affinity is on version 1.8.4 just updated it from App Store. 

IMG_5434.JPG

• Staff

Hi @wamsankas,

Welcome to the forums :)

I can see from your screenshot that you're opening a RAW file from the Canon EOS R5 - this camera was released less than a week ago and is unfortunately not yet compatible with Affinity, as can be seen from this link - 

We hope to add support for this model in a future update, although we have no timescale for this currently, my apologies!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hello, I have a Canon EOS Rebel SL3 that also uses CR3 RAW format and the new update opens my files but they are very dark. This was not a problem with the previous version. CR3 format files have been supported by Affinity Photo since at least 1.8.3.

Thank you

I tried using Affinity Photo 1.8.4 to open my raw files...Canon CR3, and found that the images are very dark. The .jpg file that is created in camera from the raw file is much brighter. When using the earlier version of Photo 1.8.3, I don't recall this issue and I'm sure I would have noticed it. My system info follows, along with two example images.

Dell G3 3590 Laptop

Installed Physical Memory RAM (32.0) GB
Video adapter. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design, Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Windows 10 Home Version    10.0.19041 Build 19041

Camera

Canon SL3 firmware Ver. 1.0.2

I haven't noticed the purple coloration on my raw images.

I have included a .tiff of the raw image without any modification on my part, using Affinity Photo to export the file. I also added the in camera .jpg that was created at the same time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Affinity Photo 1.8.4.693

_MG_1299.JPG

_MG_1299.tiff

Update:  The .tiff file that I submitted to the forums looks very much like the in-camera .jpg that have; however, when I look at the .till file on screen in Affinity Photo, it is much darker.

It seems like Photo is darkening both my raw files and affinity exported .tiff files, but when the files are viewed online or in other photo processing apps the images are brighter.

Thanks again.

• Staff
13 hours ago, J. V. K. said:

It seems like Photo is darkening both my raw files and affinity exported .tiff files, but when the files are viewed online or in other photo processing apps the images are brighter.

Just to confirm, your images are only 'dark' when being viewed in the Affinity app and this isn't transferred to the image when exported?

Do you have a custom ICC profile set against your monitor in your OS settings?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

What I have found so far is that when I open my CR3 files in Affinity photo they appear dark also, when exporting to a .tiff file the resulting .tiff file will appear dark in Affinity photo.

When I copied the dark .tiff file to this forum I noticed that the image appeared much brighter, I'd say as bright as the in-camera .jpg.

I did have a custom ICC profile set against my monitor.

I have since tried the sRGB 2.1 profile in all my graphics apps and OS, while there is a difference between them the issue remains... dark CR3 and Photo converted .till files.

I also have PaintShop Pro Ultimate which doesn't natively support the CR3 format but, will convert CR3s to a .jpgs or .tiffs for modification. PainShop does not render a dark .tiff file when exported like Affinity Photo.

I use Adobe Bridge to transfer and catalog my files to computer and the thumbnails do not appear to be dark.

Thanks for the reply. 

• Staff

@J. V. K. My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here - it sounds as though a setting in Affinity is causing this colour conversion, but I'm not certain what this is currently.

Can you please open Affinity Photo>Preferences>Colour and provide a screenshot of your settings here? 

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for your response Dan, I have attached the screen shot you requested.  I have found that my .cr3 files are at least 1 or 1.5 stops darker than what appears on camera and in Digital Photo Professional, Canon's raw photo conversion application. I hope that my screen shot holds the answer.

Thank you for your attention to my issue it is very much appreciated.

AP Color Pref.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for that, everything appears correct in these settings so I'm not certain why you're seeing this in Affinity yet.

I've tried to download your previously provided RAW files, unfortunately these are now showing as 'unavailable' - could you please try uploading these to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/QhVqSQpab68uM1u3xtI5

Once uploaded, please open a RAW file in Affinity, then navigate to View>Studio>32 bit Preview and make sure this is checked. Open this '32P' Studio and take a screenshot of your settings here.

After this, please attach a copy of this screenshot here, and let me know once you've uploaded your RAW files.

Many thanks once again :)

Hello Dan,

I have transferred the following files to the dropbox address provided:

_MG_1565.cr3

_MG_1565_AP_Export.jpg

_MG_1565_In_Camera_generated.jpg

32-bit Preview.jpg

I hope these files will help diagnose the issue that some of us are having. 

Thank you again for your help.

• Staff

Many thanks for your files provided!

Firstly, in regards to your TIFF file - 

When opened in Affinity Photo, this shows as having a 'AOCMonitorProfile' being used for the ICC profile, which isn't correct as the image should be in the sRGB colour space. If you open this TIFF, then navigate to Document>Assign ICC Profile and select sRGB then the image will appear as expected. This is actually darker than the image shown on the forums above, as the EXIF information cannot determine whether it is unprofiled, or profiled with an ICC profile that is unsupported.

This is most evident when viewing images through Windows Photo Viewer, as this is not a colour managed app, so images always open in the sRGB profile. I've included a screen recording below showing how the image opens in IrFan View alongside Affinity Photo, and the results of assigning the correct colour profile -

(I can't upload videos to the forums currently, so please find it at the following link) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysdbckpdtgsc5sj/2020-08-20 12-23-50.mp4?dl=0

Secondly, in regards to your CR3 file -

I believe this is opening as expected in Affinity, albeit somewhat different to the JPEG that the camera produced. I'm not sure if it's specifically this scene, or if the files produced by the camera are changed using built in tone-curves/profiles which isn't visible when opening the RAW file.

As can be seen below:

image.pngLeft Affinity Photo 1.8.4 (Mac OS), Right Adobe Photoshop CC 2020 (MacOS)

Annotation_2020-08-20_124650.png

Affinity Photo 1.8.4 (Windows)

Annotation_2020-08-20_124654.png

Affinity Photo 1.8.3 (Windows)

The same RAW image is displayed across multiple apps, on both OS's & between version 1.8.3 & 1.8.4 - which leads me to the conclusion that this is the correct RAW information being displayed, it's simply somewhat different from the embedded JPEG that the camera produced.

I hope this clears things up! :)

Hello Dan,

I have an update for you. I had an issue with my computer yesterday which forced me to reinstall my OS from scratch... Windows 10 Home. When I reinstalled all of my applications, I found that the dark .cr3 processing issue was gone. I think it important to point out that I did not update Affinity Photo, I installed 1.8.4 fresh on my new OS install.

I don't know what happened to my system when I updated Affinity Photo to 1.8.4; but after doing so, all of my raw processing was changed in all photo processing applications except, for Canon's Digital Photo Professional software.

I thought this information might be helpful to you if other's are having this issue.

Let me know if there is anything I can clarify for you. 

Again, thank you for all of your help.

J.V.K.

• 11 months later...

I also am having this problem. I am using a 2013 Macbook Pro, Catalina Island, BenQ monitor with factory calibration. When I view an image on my camera it has reasonable color, in this example of an LED lit reef aquarium you can clearly see the difference but with landscapes it is more subtle, and maybe has been going on a while, been wondering for a while why when I get a picture perfect on my computer it looks dull on other devices after uploading to social media. Thought maybe IG and FB compression were lightening and desaturating images. I am shooting .CR3 on a Canon EOS 50D, and opened the example in preview, Canon’s software and affinity designer then took a screenshot of the 3 windows simultaneously displayed. Canon top, AD middle, preview which is the closest to the camera and has the widest range of color at the bottom. The Canon software made the image violet. Checked AD color preferences, they match the example above. What else should I check? I am in the market for a new computer, this old thing is pretty slow and probably shouldn’t be on Catalina Island… maybe like the final post of this thread it is an OS issue?

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 8.36.17 PM.png

• Staff

Hi @Electrokate,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

Could you please provide a copy of the .CR3 file shown in your screenshots so I can investigate this further for you?

Many thanks in advance :)

I actually found a used M1 Mac mini and ordered it, so before you do a bunch of work trying to figure this out I will see how the photos do on that, and once I have it put an older OS on the MacBook I was using and see if that solves the problem. I put Catalina Island on the MacBook successfully even though apple said it was too old, but then it started having other issues possibly because the OS is not 100% compatible, and if this solves all the issues then we will know it's that and save you some research. 

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for letting me know.

I believe this is a known issue within Affinity, I simply wanted to confirm your RAW file was experiencing the problem we've already had reported.

I suspect that unfortunately the same will be true on an M1 Mac Mini, but please do let me know :)