You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support Colour Fonts

2 minutes ago, prochurchmedia said:

Ok, thanks. I need to remove the link to the font download above in my comment, how do I do this?

If you look at that post do you see an Edit link at the bottom? If so, click it, make your change, and Save it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 8/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, prochurchmedia said:

I have a font installed called 'Scrapbook Custom'

Where is this font from?
I could not find it with a search, and there is no link to the designer (Megan Watson) in the font metadata.

It appears the font is an Apple SBIX color font.

14 minutes ago, prochurchmedia said:

I made the font myself. It’s available on a site called Tooolkit. prochurchmediauniversity.com/toolkit 

It is a color font. I’d love to know when this gets added to AD. Is this a feature that is being worked towards?

I had downloaded your font and have now deleted it. I hadn't had the time to review it to see if it worked in QXP for certain (one of a few desktop applications that support it and the only one that handles COLR, SVG & SBIX), but if you are using the sbix format as indicated above and desire to have wider adoption on desktop applications, consider redoing them as svg format. SVG OTF format has wider adoption for desktop applications.

• 1 year later...

Colour fonts work in web browsers. How hard can it be to implement?

Anyone who wants to test this can find some coloured fonts on my website. 

Odana is an example with multi-coloured glyphs.

If I remember rightly, they use the COLR format, not SVG. 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

20 hours ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Colour fonts work in web browsers. How hard can it be to implement?

If you think that web browsers only support things that are easy to implement, you need a serious reality check.

That said, I get the impression that this particular omission has more to do with priorities than with complexity.

While I too would like to see strong support for color and variable fonts, there are many other things missing from the Affinity apps which I would agree should have a much higher priority at the moment - footnotes/endnotes, global layers, cross-references, more vector manipulations, a dog tool...  just to name a few.

Segoe UI Emoji is a COLR color font.
So when support was added for color emojis it also added support for other COLR fonts.
The support is not 100% as you cannot select a palette (if the font has more than the default),
and there is no support for changing the colors (even if the font supports it).

But COLR color fonts do work in Affinity apps now.

For example this was created in the current version of APub:

COLR-Font-Tests.thumb.png.f1a48750f43a148203fc891770b3140f.png

On 11/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, fde101 said:

While I too would like to see strong support for color and variable fonts, there are many other things missing from the Affinity apps which I would agree should have a much higher priority at the moment - footnotes/endnotes, global layers, cross-references, more vector manipulations, a dog tool...  just to name a few.

I agree with all of that, but I have to ask: a “dog tool”? At first I got a chuckle out of it, thinking it was a tongue-in-cheek companion to the existing cat tool. But then I started questioning myself: is this a serious suggestion about something of which I am ignorant? Hmm…

On 11/5/2021 at 12:33 AM, fde101 said:

This.  Dogs are currently underrepresented in the Serif products, so just trying to be more fair.  😎

Did you maybe read about it on SAFEnet? Their CLI had a `cat` command that got extended by `dog` for sniffing metadata etc.

Otherwise, color fonts are nice, and it’s a pity they don’t completely work in Affinity, but I can understand if they’re not a big priority. Some only show up in black, with “Liebe Heide”, the apps even crash.

• 1 month later...