You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Hyperlinks

I know its a design tool but exporting to PDF sometimes is a must have to be able to add hyperlinks to text or Images.
Is there anyway to do this in Affinity Designer?

I couldnt find a way, I know Publisher does but I think Designer should be able to do it aswell if its not the case as you may use it to work on little PDF of about a few pages.

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Hi Leandro Giorni,
This is most likely a Publisher's feature only. I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests & Suggestion section anyway as it may get lost here in the Affinity Support & Questions section. It's then up to the dev team to consider it for future updates/upgrades.

That's a shame and in my opinion a bad move.
Not even Adobe did limit features because of other products, what they did is make a product thats woth while picking becaues its a much more eficient way to work something out. Publisher should stand out by its own not because you limit features on another Software that should have it. 
Example of this is Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign where you can export PDF, web features, etc ... they relate with each other in those kinds of features but non the less there are very robust features to choose one over the other for a specific job.

Its feels like a scam ... like you could do much more and you decide not to just because you would prefer everyone to invest in a full software just for a tiny little thing that should have been there from the begining. If you plan PDF support, you should work on it, regadless. This makes the decision to stay with Adobe, much easier,  just paying at the moment you have a job and you can use whatever product you like and have no compatibility issues as they are the standard.

A real shame!

• Staff

Hi Leandro Giorni,
Each Affinity app has its own purpose/is focused on specific major areas (Photo for RAW conversion/image editing, Designer for graphic/web/UI design and illustration and Publisher for desktop publishing) allowing us to provide them at a lower price than if they were all bundled as a single (more bloated) app, catering for specific user's needs (no need to get photo editing tools if you are not interested in them) and allowing us more room to expand these areas with more advanced specialized tools rather than adding/supporting/duplicating all of them on all apps. I'm not saying there's isn't some overlapping but we try to keep it at a minimum for the reasons explained above. If you really need them all Publisher allows you to link (StudioLink) to Photo and Designer as additional 
Personas. I'm not ruling out hyperlinks in Designer (that's not up to me). They may end up there later as part of more/advanced funcionality for web and ui design, but as far as i know, for now they are limited to Publisher.

I understand the focus on specific things, but yet again you do allow PDF export support but making a specific hyperlink in a PDF is a must on any app that allows you to edit/create them.
Its like photo/editing software without layers or opacity on layers or even masks, its a expected thing because you support the format.  Not the same as expecting that every PSD file can be inported withouth any issue for example.

It makes no sense that for a 2 or 3 page PDF you need to have two softwares because one allows you to do almost anything but if you need to specify a hyperlink (which is expected to have in a PDF) you are forced to get another big app you have no other use for.  Thats not a smart way to treat customers, feels more like a scam where I do let go of features just to make another app worth more than it should.
I repeat taht Adobe never did this and they did sell 3 different softwares separatelly for a very long time ... but they knew that limiting a feature in favor of another app will not force someone to get that app, because they will work arround. In my case for sure will not pay for Publisher (was thinking on doing it) but I do not support this kind of vision where you force not including features in benefit on getting attention on another app that should get the attention by itself making sure its a more efficient way to work on large scale projects.

So sad, really as for me getting two of your software was a lot of spending and find a software that got a lot of bugs, got a few missing features that are non escentials and there are works around in the app itself but this is a feature that you expect in a designer application, you can build a PDF you have to give support for what PDF is capable  of and Hyperlinks or even index should be there even if its not as easy as it is in Publisher to make it work.

5 minutes ago, Leandro Giorni said:

I repeat taht Adobe never did this and they did sell 3 different softwares separatelly for a very long time

Really? Even Adobe was / is splitting features. Or even better, show me how to make forms in Illustrator or Photoshop CS6 (Indesign can do this), just to name an example. What is essential for you is not essential for me. And this is the point, maybe Serif thought also that there is more need (from the start) for hyperlinks in APu?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

They do different things, not all features should be listed as supported, but the exported from Affinity Designer says it supports Hyperlnks .. .what you expect is that you could manage them in the editor. Thats something you expect if the software supports those features.
And I made clear that there are differences inbetween Photosohp, Illustrator and InDesign  but at some scale you can do the same thing in the three of them. I repeat Im not asking for something specific for me in this case, its just that if you support something you should be able to edit it in the editor or at least you should expect that.

34 minutes ago, Leandro Giorni said:

but the exported from Affinity Designer says it supports Hyperlnks .. .what you expect is that you could manage them in the editor. Thats something you expect if the software supports those features.

Designer can work with files created by Publisher, or modified by Publisher, that contain hyperlinks. 

Therefore the Export function in Designer needs to support them. But that does not mean that Designer can create them, nor that it needs to (in my opinion).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

After relaxing a little bit (I got quite frustrated with some Designer limitations) It would be a nice addition to have the chance to have this option inside Designer. So its nice to do a request and hopefully if many see this usefull will be implemented. If not possible, I´m guessing Ill stick with that as 50 dollars is a lot of money in my side (in my Country) and I have no real use for a complete app like Publisher.

I was mistaken and recall that PDF hyperlink was possible but not on Adobe software that made the same thing as Affinity making Acrobat and InDesign the only ones capable of doing this. But CorelDraw something I did use in the past do allow you to create custom hyperlinks.

Sorry for the inconvenience ... I would like to say thanks for the response. I do notice that is not really big thing, Designer needs more important features before this probably, like a good image tracer.