You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text frame selection

Found this issue started with latest update as well.

I particularly noticed this bug when one of the text frames on the spread contains a table. (tabletop roleplaying game, so there are some tables and wrap-arounds for illos)

Working on a 90+ page document. Did not have issue with the previous 1.83xx and earlier versions.

2 page spreads, 2 columns on each page. Each column a separate linked text frame, not one frame with 2 columns.

Can't use the text select tool on the left frame; page-specific.

I can select it IF I move the other frame (one on the right) out of alignment, specifically vertical alignment (ie. nothing on the right on that page of the frame I need to click into.)

I can select the text field using layers to move the frame, but text-edit/selection tool still does not work.

If I select text in the right frame and use the arrow keys to move up into the left frame, that works, but obviously that work-around (or the move the other frame out of alignment and then back-again after I finish work-around) is a very inefficient kludge.

Thanks

Adding in two extra notes.

1) I placed a .docx document with tables in it (much easier to fill out tables in the word processor).

I've noticed the tables seem to act differently from those generated within Publisher itself, but it just might be my perception.

2) Attempted to replicate with a new and smaller document without a .docx import, but haven't hit it yet. The document with the issue was created in the 1.83 version.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can this be raised to a higher priority please.

It seems to me that a bug which makes the entire product UNUSABLE should be top of the list.

I've got it again with a small file which I just began afresh today.

A moderator has taken my file and presumably examined it but we've had no response and the bug has persisted through more recent versions

Fix it please

• 1 month later...

I just updated to the latest version yesterday, and it is now garbage, utterly unusable, because I cannot select about half of the objects, ie text frames, on my document!!! Do I have to waste half an hour uninstalling this program and reinstalling an earlier version? Please fix it!

I've had some difficulty with this, but have found a way around it.

In  my case, the problem seems to be related to the default characteristics of new empty text boxes. (For confirmation, I am using version 1.8.5.703.)

If I add a text box and start typing in it, the text flows right to left in a typeface that is much bolder than the setting [in this case Segoe regular] (see image scr1).

If such empty text boxes are left in place on a double-page spread, eventually the entire content of the two pages becomes locked and clicking anywhere on the pages will only select one or other of the two boxes (highlighted on image scr2).

However, if I copy text from another page and paste it into the two boxes, the rest of the two pages of text are released (highlighted on image scr3; I can now select text on the left page).

Alternatively, if both the boxes are selected in turn and deleted, the pages are released and can be edited, per image scr4.

scr1.png

scr2.png

scr3.png

scr4.png

• 2 months later...

I'm not seeing resolution on this issue, and just came here to ask the same question. I have multiple text frames flowed across a two page spread and select automatically moves to the right-most of the boxes, whether to move the selected frame, or to edit text within the frame. Automatically constructed out of a word document import. I may try using other than a .docx file import as I fortunately noticed this early in the process, but a significant bug to still be open.

11 hours ago, Meinvt said:

I have multiple text frames flowed across a two page spread and select automatically moves to the right-most of the boxes, whether to move the selected frame, or to edit text within the frame.

Not sure I completely understand what you are saying

But if you are saying that trying to select one text box selects a different one instead then goto the one that is selected and remove any stroke setting that is applied to that text

If that does not help please upload the document and provide further clarification as to what problem you have

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.