You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hiding ( Turning Off ) Picture and Text Frame Options

Hi there, I've looked around the forum but struggling to find anything relevant. I'm trying the publisher trial and would like to switch from indesign. I find working with type and image that I want to turn off as much visual noise as possible.

With Images
When I select an image I see the scale option. anchor points, rotate symbol, arrows. Is there an option to turn these off whilst working.
( I have discovered with the context tool I can turn them of when moving the image around ) but I want them off when I select the image.

With text box
Is there a way to turn off the top 'rotate antenna' and the 'scale' circle

Box Fill Panels
Do I always have to work in 'preview mode' so that I can view box fill panels without seeing the diagonal black lines going from corner to corner on the box.

The Artboard
Do I always need to turn 'preview mode' on and off to see the elements I have scattered around my art board, this is annoying.

Fading out purple highlight.
Moving from element to element, as in deselecting one box and selecting another.  I have this fading out Purple frame edge highlight appears from the element I have just moved on from.
How do I turn this off.

Thanks in advance for any help. much appreciated,

Shane

Edited by Shaneberlin

• Staff

Hi @Shaneberlin,

Welcome to the forums :)

19 hours ago, Shaneberlin said:

When I select an image I see the scale option. anchor points, rotate symbol, arrows. Is there an option to turn these off whilst working.

The context option you have found is the only setting for this currently, which only hides these when moving the object.

Is there a way to turn off the top 'rotate antenna' and the 'scale' circle

Unfortunately this is the same as the above.

Do I always have to work in 'preview mode' so that I can view box fill panels without seeing the diagonal black lines going from corner to corner on the box.

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to here - could you possibly provide a screenshot showing this for me?

Do I always need to turn 'preview mode' on and off to see the elements I have scattered around my art board, this is annoying.

With Preview Mode on, Clip to Canvas is enabled automatically which hides any objects on the pasteboard. You can press '\' to toggle Clip to Canvas on and off, but do note this will turn off Preview mode, as they cannot both be enabled at once.

Moving from element to element, as in deselecting one box and selecting another.  I have this fading out Purple frame edge highlight appears from the element I have just moved on from.
How do I turn this off.

This is 'snapping candidates' being shown, please make sure the following option is unchecked in your Snapping Settings -

image.png

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Dan C, thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I was hoping I could just turn off all the toggles and symbols as one can do in Indesign, so that I could focus on what I'm creating.

In relation to my question about fills and the diagonal lines.

I like to work quickly by throwing variations on the artboard, and dragging bits of interest onto the page.
When I'm tweaking something on the page, I like to see the other options on the sideline as they can often subliminally be better options.

But when working on the page, particularly typesetting, and font choosing, I want as little noise around the focus as is possible.

In the attached screenshot. In order for me to see my various options on the artboard, I have to put up with the diagonal lines on
the fill boxes behind the type I'm thinking about. I find it distracting.

Dan any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks again for your input on my other questions, kinda disappointed I have to out up with all the toggles and symbols in work mode.

Shane

hiding diagonal lines on fills.png

On 8/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Shaneberlin,

Welcome to the forums :)

The context option you have found is the only setting for this currently, which only hides these when moving the object.

Unfortunately this is the same as the above.

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to here - could you possibly provide a screenshot showing this for me?

With Preview Mode on, Clip to Canvas is enabled automatically which hides any objects on the pasteboard. You can press '\' to toggle Clip to Canvas on and off, but do note this will turn off Preview mode, as they cannot both be enabled at once.

This is 'snapping candidates' being shown, please make sure the following option is unchecked in your Snapping Settings -

image.png

I hope this helps!

Hi Dan

In relation to my question about fills and the diagonal lines.

I like to work quickly by throwing variations on the artboard, and dragging bits of interest onto the page.
When I'm tweaking something on the page, I like to see the other options on the sideline as they can often subliminally be better options.

But when working on the page, particularly typesetting, and font choosing, I want as little noise around the focus as is possible.

In the attached screenshot. In order for me to see my various options on the artboard, I have to put up with the diagonal lines on
the fill boxes behind the type I'm thinking about. I find it distracting.

Dan any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks again for your input on my other questions, kinda disappointed I have to out up with all the toggles and symbols in work mode.

Shane

fill boxes and diagonal lines.png

When you say "fill boxes" you are referring to Picture Frames, that is why they have the diagonal lines. I don't know of any way to turn those off. You could use ordinary Rectangles and then when you wish to place pictures use the Convert to Picture Frame command in a right click/ control click on the Rectangle to Convert to Picture Frame.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

When you say "fill boxes" you are referring to Picture Frames, that is why they have the diagonal lines. I don't know of any way to turn those off. You could use ordinary Rectangles and then when you wish to place pictures use the Convert to Picture Frame command in a right click/ control click on the Rectangle to Convert to Picture Frame.

Hi Old Bruce.

Yep 100% right. I had been using a picture frame box rather than the ordinary rectangle.

I'm still jumping in and out of the trial. Thanks a lot for flagging that and setting me straight. Much appreciated.

At this point I suppose I was hoping for some simple and clear on / off options such as indesign in relation to guides and grids, toggles etc attached to frame edges.

indesign options.jpg

9 minutes ago, Shaneberlin said:

At this point I suppose I was hoping for some simple and clear on / off options such as indesign in relation to guides and grids, toggles etc attached to frame edges.

That would be nice.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Shaneberlin. Trying to migrate over to Affinity from InDesign. The text box frames are really distracting when trying to design. Makes the page look so cluttered it is hard to tell what you are doing. A keyboard shortcut toggle to turn them on and off without affecting the column guides and margins would sure be nice. Is there a wish list we could add this to for future versions?

Publisher has a lot of other features InDesign doesn't that I really like, but the design is the most important thing. Gotta keep the client happy, right?

Thanks,

Dail

9 hours ago, Dail said:

The text box frames are really distracting when trying to design. Makes the page look so cluttered it is hard to tell what you are doing.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you're talking about Publisher, and Text Frames, only one frame should be visible unless you have enabled View > Show Text Flow. That would enable visibility for all the frames all the time, and could increase the visual clutter. But you can turn it off if that bothers you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hmmmmm, I just checked and I do have Show Text Flow turned off.  I am assuming that the trial version I am working in at the moment has all it's features fully functional since I didn't find anything advising that certain things might be disabled in the trial version.  All the text boxes for everything are showing unless I put the file in preview mode. I am currently working in that mode as much as possible because all the clutter really does bother me a lot. Mostly because I'm not used to it I'm sure.

Thanks,

Dail

1 hour ago, Dail said:

I am assuming that the trial version I am working in at the moment has all it's features fully functional

Yes.

Perhaps there's a terminology problem? Can you provide a screenshot of a page you're having problems with, including the Layers panel?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt,

I certainly appreciate all your suggestions and help with this issue. It somehow has resolved itself. I didn't change anything so I'm not sure how or why, but it seems to now be working just how you described that it should. Makes me wonder if I have some sort of conflict on my computer.

Anyway, thanks so much.

Dail

You're welcome. Glad it started working, but it's annoying that we don't know why. That has happened with a number of different issues reported by other users.

-- Walt
PC:

On 8/6/2020 at 3:39 PM, Shaneberlin said:

I have to put up with the diagonal lines on the fill boxes behind the type I'm thinking about. I find it distracting.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:10 PM, Shaneberlin said:

I had been using a picture frame box rather than the ordinary rectangle.

If you prefer picture frames (e.g. for later image placement) you can prevent the diagonal lines if you paste any item into the frame properly (> drag the item's layer on the picture frame's name). A picture frame can contain several items and of several type but only one of them properly. Only a properly pasted layer will make use of the picture frame's features (scaling etc.), this layer shows a tiny, squared & crossed icon in its layer thumbnail.

1587234520_pictureframecrossedlines.jpg.431d52f08b552f607f8a63592bd62ee7.jpg

To hide object selection frames & handles at least temporarily you can press the space key (of course not with the text tool in a text frame). Below: same selection as above but with space key pressed:

2113629154_objectframeshiddenwithspacekey.jpg.381e884b5705cb50829d7a44fb9ceb32.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 years later...