You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

So, just installed Designer update 1.8.4 and have noticed the following:

Draw a line with the pen tool then add a new node with the node tool but the 'Break Curve' option in the toolbar is now greyed out. It can only be accessed by deselecting the line then selecting it again. This was NOT the case before the 1.8.4 update. It is an operation I perform pretty much every day and it is really annoying as it breaks my workflow every time.

Running Designer on MacBookPro 2019, 16" with MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

Please let me know what is different or fix it please if it is a bug.

Many thanks and best wishes

Break Curve greyed out.afdesign

Double click on the added node.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi @The Herbalizer,

Welcome to the forums :)

Can you please confirm for me, when using the Pen tool, do you hold CMD down to temporarily access the Node Tool, or do you switch to the standalone tool, then switch back to the Pen Tool?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C,

Thanks for the reply - I'm using the dedicated node tool when adding the new node - I swap tools using keyboard commands.

And Hi firstdefene - yep, that works - or I just tried double clicking with the node tool to add the new node which then immediately makes the break curve option available. Sorted!

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know!

There's a bug here where the Pen tool doesn't correctly change state when switching quickly to the node tool (using the temporary pen shortcut, or keyboard shortcut for the node tool itself) and I've logged this with our developers now :)

I'm glad to hear that firstdefence's workaround solves this for the time being!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi PixelPest,
No, you don't have to double-click to insert a node. This is a bug that's logged to be looked at.
In the latest version if you try to insert a node on a non-closed path with the Node Tool, the Break Node function doesn't become available until you select another node and get back to the original one (or double-click when creating the original node as a workaround).

Thanks DanC and MEB - glad to have been of help in finding a bug!!

And Hi PixelPest - getting the line width to reset at that place is exactly why I want to break the path with pressure enabled - I'm emulating very finely detailed brush and ink line drawings and this is a convenient way of continually modifying the line width as the line progresses along differing curves. I have attached a simple example of a section of a stylized silk scarf showing how I use this technique.

Best wishes

Silk Scarf.jpg