You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error when using Intuos Tablet

My Wacom Intuos 4 has also stopped working correctly since the 1.8.4 update (this is true for both Designer and Photo).  On Windows 10.  I've needed to reinstall 1.8.3 and that works correctly.

* Cannot paint in raster mode - if painting on the empty space to the left of the canvas I can sometimes see strokes appearing in the canvas area which are far from the cursor.

* Can select some UI as normal but other UI is not selectable - the body and stroke colours at the base of the Tools panel for example no longer select easily

Edited by paulferry79

Since downloading the 1.8.4 update  earlier today I cannot select or do anything other than move the cursor around the screen to hover over things with my Wacom Intuos Pro M .  I can't even close the program unless I use the touch screen or laptop mouse.

20 hours ago, paulferry79 said:

Hi Angstyboy.  If by Windows dpi you mean the Scale and Layout under Display Settings it is set to 100%

Yes, that setting. There are websites and apps that actually screw up the coordinate mapping of the tablet to screen when you have it set other than 100% actually, so I asked. With 100% setting, the problem is definitely with AD, not with Wacom. Have you tried the "--legacy wintab " 'solution'?

See here:

Thanks.  Wasn't aware of that so I tried the " --legacy-wintab" solution and seemed to work initially - I can draw accurately and choose the body and stroke colours on the Tools panel.  But resizing the brush using the Alt plus stylus button press & slide left / right doesn't work (It also didn't work before the " --legacy-wintab" was added but worked in 1.8.3).  I only had a quick test so not sure if other things won't be working too.

3 minutes ago, paulferry79 said:

Thanks.  Wasn't aware of that so I tried the " --legacy-wintab" solution and seemed to work initially - I can draw accurately and choose the body and stroke colours on the Tools panel.  But resizing the brush using the Alt plus stylus button press & slide left / right doesn't work (It also didn't work before the " --legacy-wintab" was added but worked in 1.8.3).  I only had a quick test so not sure if other things won't be working too.

They shortcut has changed in 1.8.4 to be Ctrl+Alt to make it easier to use for pen users.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

They shortcut has changed in 1.8.4 to be Ctrl+Alt to make it easier to use for pen users.

Also removed a lot of muscle strain from mouse users so thank you for that fix.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

18 hours ago, paulferry79 said:

That would explain it... yeah that does the trick then!  Okay, fingers crossed this is all sorted for now.  Many thanks Mark and Angstyboy!

Yeah, it works... for now. As it's a 'workaround' developers will sooner or later tire of 'legacy' hardware and backwards compatibility, and this feature will be lost. I wish I knew what the actual problem is and what hardware the new 1.8.4 tablet implementation works with as intended?

9 minutes ago, saikat said:

Thanks a lot for this, the shortcut to change brush size for Window was horrible. Really appreciate the change.

Indeed. Using both mouse buttons at the same time is also clumsy. Imagine asking soccer players to kick the ball with both legs simultaniously!

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

17 hours ago, Angstyboy said:

Yeah, it works... for now. As it's a 'workaround' developers will sooner or later tire of 'legacy' hardware and backwards compatibility, and this feature will be lost. I wish I knew what the actual problem is and what hardware the new 1.8.4 tablet implementation works with as intended?

It would be sad that I may have to retire my 2005 Wacom Intuos 2 6x8  for the lack of software support even though it still works flawlessly!
Hope the 'legacy' hardware support continues for some time

On 8/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, saikat said:

It would be sad that I may have to retire my 2005 Wacom Intuos 2 6x8  for the lack of software support even though it still works flawlessly!
Hope the 'legacy' hardware support continues for some time

"Legacy" in the --legacy-wintab command line flag context refers to our legacy implementation (the low precision input data), not the hardware itself, though I appreciate that may be ambiguous.

In the future we're going to add a preference item that will allow you to choose between:

• High precision input (the current default, not compatible with mouse mode, and some tablet devices such as XP Pen).
  • Low precision input (how we previously received data, in 1.8.3 and before).
  • Windows Ink input (for users who prefer this mode).

Hope that clears things up.

41 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

"Legacy" in the --legacy-wintab command line flag context refers to our legacy implementation (the low precision input data), not the hardware itself, though I appreciate that may be ambiguous.

In the future we're going to add a preference item that will allow you to choose between:

• High precision input (the current default, not compatible with mouse mode, and some tablet devices such as XP Pen).
  • Low precision input (how we previously received data, in 1.8.3 and before).
  • Windows Ink input (for users who prefer this mode).

Hope that clears things up.

Thank you Mark for the clarification. Really appreciate it. 
Glad to know that the older tablets can still be used in the future.

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. In the latest customer beta (1.8.5.703) we have changed the default tablet input method to be the Low Precision mode, the same as in 1.8.3, and added a new Preferences option that allows users to opt-in to High Precision or Windows Ink modes. If you would like to check it out, the details are here: