You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo unexpectedly quits

Jeff K

Hello,

I just bought Affinity Photo and Designer. Affinity Photo unexpectedly quits every time I try to use the keyboard to cut, copy, paste, delete, return, etc. I can do those functions with the mouse but if I forget and use the keyboard the "filters" on the menu bar highlights then it quits. I can type (but no return) and shift other than that I can't use the key board. I'm on OS 10.7.5.

Thank you for your help.

• Staff

Hi @Jeff K,

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please provide a copy of your latest crash report, so we can investigate this further?

To find this, please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder, then upload this report here.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for that Jeff! I can see you're running OSx Lion, unfortunately there was a bug in version 1.8.3 that caused any keystroke to crash the app - I can confirm this has been fixed in version 1.8.4 which was released on Monday.

Please open the Mac App Store App and go to the Updates page. If the updates are not showing, go to Store > Reload page. This should hopefully force the updates to show.

Once updated, please do let me know if this resolves your issue :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your help. 

I updated both Photo and Designer, unfortunately Photo still has the same problem but now the image I was working on is pixellated. I don't know what is up with that.

I've attached the newest crash report.

By the way, Designer still works fine and the image isn't pixellated.

Affinity Photo_2020-08-05-133519_Jeffs-iMac.crash

Hello Dan,

I was wrong about Designer. I tried to print my work and I was able to one file but for some reason the image comes out the same size no matter what scale I choose.

Then I tried printing another file and it crashes no matter if I select print or use command P.

Both files are .afphoto files and are very small - business cards.

The scaling didn't make it crash but the second file did. I'll attach the crash report.

Thanks again for your time.

Affinity Photo_2020-08-05-160844_Jeffs-iMac.crash

• Staff

Thanks for trying that and I'm very sorry to hear this - as this is still and issue in the retail version I've moved this thread to the bugs section of our forums and a member of our QA team should reply here shortly. Many thanks for your continued patience :)

• Staff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to keep you waiting—I usually handle the Photo issues but I've only just returned from a short holiday.

It looks like the fix for Lion may have failed. Unfortunately, the machine we use for testing Lion issues with is tucked away at SerifHQ and as we are still working from home, we do not have access to the machine to verify the fix.

I will reopen the bug report and link your post and crash reports to it. 

Can I just check that you aren't using any clipboard managers in conjunction with Lion? 

Finally, can you attach the card you're trying to print to this private Dropbox folder?
https://www.dropbox.com/request/NUyYBs5OjgMyDYDHAJPk

Please give me a nudge once it has uploaded as Dropbox does not notify me.

Hello Chris,

I hope you had a great holiday. As for your questions, I don't know what a clipboard manager is (3rd party plug in?) so I would have to say I'm not using one.

I was able to get the file to print by combining the text boxes. The real problem with Photo is the keyboard (cut, copy, paste, return, etc.).

I have other problems with Photo and Designer. I've made saving often, and crash/restart part of my work flow. It would be nice to get that resolved, but I haven't been sending reports because I still had the first issues to deal with.

Thank you for your time.

PS: If you still need the file I'll send it, but I was able to get it to print.

• Staff

Thanks Jeff, 

I'm going to see if we can get someone to nip into the office and check on the Lion machine as Dev need to be made aware if the fix has indeed failed.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:14 PM, Jeff K said:

As for your questions, I don't know what a clipboard manager is (3rd party plug in?) so I would have to say I'm not using one.

Yes that's what I meant. Thanks for clarifying. I guessed you wouldn't but thought I'd ask as they can cause crashes with shortcuts :) 

I've tried restarting my computer and still find that Photo (and Designer) crash when trying to print. I was not having this issue before applying the latest update (for both apps). I've tried but existing files and newly created ones with the same result. I'd like to roll back to the previous version if possible.

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 18 GB

ATI Radeon 560 4 GB

Mac OS 10.12.6

• Staff

Hi Jeff,

My colleague ran to the office last week and confirmed the fixed had failed sadly :( I have since updated the bug report with the new info. 

Thanks for this new crash report, are you able to share the .ai file as well? If you'd prefer to keep it private, you can use this Dropbox link. Anything that causes a crash on open is alarming! 

Hello Chris,

I'm not sure why the file wouldn't open in Illustrator, mine still does.

I checked, and I can't open any of my .ai files in AD (or AP) without them crashing.

I was going to let it go because I figured out that I can save the file as an EPS  in Illustrator and it will open up in AD.

But I had already opened .ai files before, then I remembered, that was before I updated to 1.8.4. I'm sure there is a problem but it's not critical for me.

Thank you again for looking in to it.