You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with delayed layer behaviour

Hi

Updated all to 1.8.4 👍 well done on all the bug fixes, drawing with the pen tool seems to be working great.

I'm just struggling with the dragging layers into vector containers behaviour, weras in 1.8.3 and previous it was instant, now there seems to be a delay which is slowing me down quite a bit - I get that you now have to really move to the right and wiggle whatever you place inside the container - is this by design? if so maybe a colour change to green for the overlay to show what's happening or something to indicate you've achieved the goal - just wish it was as responsive as before which always worked great.

It's really getting to me so thought I'd upload a quick demo vid just to check to see if others are experiencing the same problem? 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

A deliberate change (supposedly an improvement) was made to the software. You need to drag further to the right now. This slows me down and I prefer how it was before. Fixes to the numerous rendering bugs would have been appreciated, but they look more like permanent "features" as each year goes by.

Edited by anon2

38 minutes ago, anon2 said:

A deliberate change (supposedly an improvement) was made to the software

I't worked great before, quick and snappy, now seems like a huge back-step with delay and uncertainty wether the goal is achieved DAMN! I have the mac App Store version so can't go back to 1.8.3 - well still works better than Illustrator CS5

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

FWIW, I have not seen any delays or need to wiggle anything after updating to 1.8.4.

In fact, after testing the new behavior a fair amount, I have discovered that if I move the tip of the pointer diagonally to anywhere close to the middle of the layer I want to nest the dragged one(s) into, nesting occurs immediately, often faster than before when it sometimes took a while to find the 'sweet spot' where nesting would occur.

So instead of dragging the layers down hunting for some sweet spot just below your "(Rectangle)" layer as in your video, if you target the middle of that layer for your drop, I think you will find it works quite well.

Personally, I think having the middle of the layer as the drop target when nesting is desired is more intuitive than the old behavior; that it  always should have worked this way. But maybe that is just me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I have not seen any delays or need to wiggle anything after updating to 1.8.4.

There is no wiggling required, but the 1.8.4 behaviour requires a larger and more precise move of the hand than was required before, which effectively delays the user.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

In fact, after testing the new behavior a fair amount, I have discovered that if I move the tip of the pointer diagonally to anywhere close to the middle of the layer I want to nest the dragged one(s) into, nesting occurs immediately, often faster than before when it sometimes took a while to find the 'sweet spot' where nesting would occur.

There was no sweet spot in 1.8.3 and earlier - anywhere to the right of the thumbnail was the target.

In 1.8.4, there is an unresponsive zone measuring the size of the thumbnail to the right of the thumbnail, which effectively creates a sweet spot for the drop.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

So instead of dragging the layers down hunting for some sweet spot just below your "(Rectangle)" layer as in your video, if you target the middle of that layer for your drop, I think you will find it works quite well.

Personally, I think having the middle of the layer as the drop target when nesting is desired is more intuitive than the old behavior; that it  always should have worked this way. But maybe that is just me.

And now you do describe a sweet spot in 1.8.4: "if you target the middle of that layer for your drop""the middle of the layer as the drop target".

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

R C-R - Just been having a play around and I'm kind of getting used to it - I guess it should help with the problem of mistakingly placing an object inside a container when you just want to place it behind which I've done many a time - so yes, dragging to the middle and right is working for me now, although it's the preview of the action which seems a bit slower to update ---👍---

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

R C-R - Just been having a play around and I'm kind of getting used to it - I guess it should help with the problem of mistakingly placing an object inside a container when you just want to place it behind which I've done many a time - so yes, dragging to the middle and right is working for me now, although it's the preview of the action which seems a bit slower to update ---👍---

As I understand it, the change in the layer stack behavior was made in response to user complaints about this general problem -- that it was too easy to accidentally nest dragged layers when the intent was just to move them above or below other layers in the layer stack.

There does seem to be a delay in the on-canvas preview but I am not sure if it is any different than before.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7