You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.4 update

After the new update (which had nothing to do with the Windows OS) nothing was working right, lag, weak and sometimes complete fail of response from

my wacom tablet. Couldn't even lasso anything without it darting all over the screen like a drunk spider.

I love your program, I quit Adobe because of the quality of your software.

That aside, I uninstalled and re-installed the previous version 1.8.3 and everything is fine again, not sure whats incompatible, but its a doosie

Win 8.1/i7/nvidia

36 minutes ago, VShane said:

After the new update (which had nothing to do with the Windows OS) nothing was working right, lag, weak and sometimes complete fail of response from

my wacom tablet. Couldn't even lasso anything without it darting all over the screen like a drunk spider.

I love your program, I quit Adobe because of the quality of your software.

That aside, I uninstalled and re-installed the previous version 1.8.3 and everything is fine again, not sure whats incompatible, but its a doosie

Win 8.1/i7/nvidia

I have that same problem too.

uninstall then re-install 1.8.4, my affinity photo working great again.

I have the same problem after updating to 1.8.4. The Wacom input is extremely erratic: even when just hovering with the pen (i.e. not even putting the pen down to register a click), the cursor moves and clicks on its own, randomly creating new guides and drawing all over, and outside the document. When I do put the pen down to the tablet, the pen tool (and other tools) draws with a serious offset, maybe 5 cm up and to the left of where the cursor actually is, and still extremely erratically.

This happened in both Designer and Photo after updating to 1.8.4. Presumably this would happen in Publisher too if I updated it. Uninstalling the latest version and reinstalling 1.8.3 makes it normal again, but reinstalling 1.8.4 didn't help, as it did for rahadianrihadi.

I have Win10, a Wacom Bamboo with updated drivers, and everything works fine in all other software I use the pen for. It's only 1.8.4 of the Affinity softwares that are affected, and only with the tablet, not with the mouse.

1 hour ago, David Still said:

I have the same problem after updating to 1.8.4. The Wacom input is extremely erratic: even when just hovering with the pen (i.e. not even putting the pen down to register a click), the cursor moves and clicks on its own, randomly creating new guides and drawing all over, and outside the document. When I do put the pen down to the tablet, the pen tool (and other tools) draws with a serious offset, maybe 5 cm up and to the left of where the cursor actually is, and still extremely erratically.

This happened in both Designer and Photo after updating to 1.8.4. Presumably this would happen in Publisher too if I updated it. Uninstalling the latest version and reinstalling 1.8.3 makes it normal again, but reinstalling 1.8.4 didn't help, as it did for rahadianrihadi.

I have Win10, a Wacom Bamboo with updated drivers, and everything works fine in all other software I use the pen for. It's only 1.8.4 of the Affinity softwares that are affected, and only with the tablet, not with the mouse.

It seems re-installing doesn't fix the problem.

The problem comes again on my PC.

this time, basic brush works okay, but another brush laggy.

mouse and wacom, problems on both.

• Staff

We have completely done away with Windows Ink.

It should not matter if it is enabled in the driver properties. 

If you're having issues, you can try doing the --legacy-wintab flag.

Right-click the application shortcut > Properties and in the Target box, add the above bolded line to the end of what's in the Target box. So it should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Photo.exe" --legacy-wintab

Remember to include the space after .exe"

By older tablet, I mean one that uses 'Mouse Mode' which doesn't support the high precision. We are writing a full FAQ about this later so keep an eye out.

Affinity Photo Properties.jpg

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Right-click the application shortcut > Properties and in the Target box, add the above bolded line to the end of what's in the Target box. So it should look something like this:

By older tablet, I mean one that uses 'Mouse Mode' which doesn't support the high precision. We are writing a full FAQ about this later so keep an eye out.

I tried this and it stopped pressure sensitivity in the 'Wacom Pen Settings' panel. Intuous Pro (M) pad about 6 years old, so had to undo. Pen pressure does work on another of my photo processing programmes. Pad drivers are up to date. Windows10 Home.

18 hours ago, Chris B said:

Tried this, and my problem solved for now. Thanks Chris!

1 hour ago, Spud said:

Now ain't that weird!!! Same adjustment - opposite result.

Before I add --legacy-wintab

This is all the step I did:

1. When Chris said Windows Ink will not matter if it is enabled or disabled then I enabled back all windows ink setting from:

A. Wacom app setting > Mapping > Turn on Windows Ink. 

B. Turn on visual effects in the Pen and Ink settings on Windows through “Windows settings”> “Devices”> “Pen” or “Pen & Windows Ink”> Enable “Show visual effects” and “Show cursor”.

C. Go to “Control Panel”> “Tablet”> “Pen Options”> “Pen and Touch”> “Press and Hold”> “Settings” and Check “Enable press and hold for right-clicking”> “OK”;

2. On another thread, Dan told me to reset affinity photo. 

Push Left CTRL key while opening Affinity Photo, reset window will open, select all, then reset. 

(it will remove every custom brushes, shortcut, etc) 

3. Add --legacy-wintab

After step 3, it doesn't lag anymore and my wacom pen hard button (the button on the pen) works like it should be.