You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The cursor disappears on the panel in 1.8.4

Version 1.8.4 (windows 7)

How it manifests itself: The cursor disappears and is displayed only in the work area, but it is not visible on panels and tools, tabs.

Steps that caused the problem: Worked with layers in PSD, made export to JPEG. The save indication did not appear. The file was saved, but the cursor immediately disappeared.  Switching to tabs, menus, and another warm-up area didn't help.

Video: https://youtu.be/vRG7HnnVl5c

10 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Are you using a tablet at all?

Does Alt+Tab back to the app resolve it?

We're seeing a few reports but so far, we have not been able to reproduce this. 

In my case, I am not using any tablet at all. Even checked if there is any tablet-related software left on my computer (I used to work with Huion tablet but then uninstalled it). Alt+Tab doesn't help, I have to restart the program each time.

This problem is really weird. I tried "playing" around with basically every tool and couldn't trigger this bug. I opened a new document, created a few layers, doodled some things over them, saved the file as a PNG by Export. Nothing. Went back to my real project, worked around it a little as usual, saved it as a PNG by Export and the bug triggered 🙄

Edited by Sebostatic

I use only keyboard and mouse.
Strangely, this is the first time I encountered such an error.

Now I worked for more than an hour, I just saved it and I could not repeat the problem.

But!!! While I was writing this and decided to check it, I saved it in the JPEG and the problem repeated itself!

Closed everything. I opened it again. Made minor changes, saved and again no problem.

From experimenting, this seems to happen to me if I use a mask and then the brush tool to remove some of the mask - then the cursor disappears over the tools panel and menu after exporting. It would seem that if the file has been exported prior to adding the mask, then it prevents the disappearing cursor from happening when exporting again after adding the mask and working on it.

Hopefully that makes sense!

• Staff
1 hour ago, backearly said:

It is being triggered when using the keyboard shortcut for export ctrl+alt-shift+s.  It doesn't happen when exporting manually using the the mouse to select export from the File menu.

I still can't get it but I'll ask the team if they can have a go.

Watching this thread like a hawk 🐦

I open the document, create some layers, make edits. I save it through the combination "ctr+alt+shift+s" and delete the JPG format. After exporting the file, the cursor is visible in the image but disappears from the panels, as if it goes to a level lower than the interface

• Staff

Got it! Thanks so much everyone. Logging this now! 

All I did was make a new document > add a few pixel layers > add an adjustment layer > shortcut for export > cancel export.

It doesn't seem to matter if I cancel the export dialog or actually export it, 2/3 times I get this issue. 

48 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Got it! Thanks so much everyone. Logging this now! 

All I did was make a new document > add a few pixel layers > add an adjustment layer > shortcut for export > cancel export.

It doesn't seem to matter if I cancel the export dialog or actually export it, 2/3 times I get this issue. 

Thanks everyone. I can reproduce this too (took about 10 Export then Cancel attempts, but now I've lost my mouse cursor and can't get it back...)

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Sebostatic said:

Do we know when this bug will be fixed? It's really frustrating and it's messing up my workflow :/ 

Can you try working around it for now using the File menu to save as opposed to the shortcut? Or try changing the shortcut from Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts. We believe it is being caused by Ctrl+Alt being used together in the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S shortcut for Export.

7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Can you try working around it for now using the File menu to save as opposed to the shortcut? Or try changing the shortcut from Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts. We believe it is being caused by Ctrl+Alt being used together in the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S shortcut for Export.

Ok, thanks!

18 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Also, pressing Ctrl+Alt together after the cursor has disappeared should fix it (and it should only happen in brush tools).

It's not fixing it for me. 
When I press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to bring up the export window again the cursor appears, but as soon as I close the window, the cursor is gone.

I wanted to go back to Photo 1.8.3 but it says setup has failed. 
Do I have to uninstall 1.8.4 first? 
I am using Windows.

Edited by saikat
edited to add some more details.