You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance worse when zoomed in

I have this big drawing with many objects and many with FX (mostly slight blur, rarely above 1 pixel, never 2). When I zoom in on a tiny area to adjust some nodes then performance is degraded dramatically? Dragging the nodes lag. I zoom out. The nodes are moved without issues. It doesn't make much sense.

Quite humble old laptop with i5 processor and a simple Intel HD 3000 that otherwise runs Designer smoothly.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Hi @Jowday,

I don't know what could cause it without seeing the file

I am not allowed to share the file so I'll see if I can simulate it. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Hi @Jowday,

I don't know what could cause it without seeing the file

Performance.afdesign

Easy to reproduce - try with hardware like what I described:

Edit nodes at 100% - pull nodes fast towards the middle of the shape. No issues.

Edit a node at 6000% - another story. With HQ rendering really slow - with bilinear somewhat better. But why so slow rendering a tiny part of the drawing while rendering the entire image is another story?

@Gabe

A completely rudimentary designed section of a drawing. Now in 1200% but nodes are easily moved. Then zoom in. Death. I see this at many zoom levels - that Designer struggles much more with the rendering close than when rendering much bigger portions of the entire drawing.

slow.gif.c3f87a3b4c16732d714cfcebd5392b78.gif

This is the only FX applied to the shape I am editing. I never use 3D - sometimes bevel and shadows.

image.png.3a781e88add7bd2870a4e1f9f1a2a39b.png

@Gabe

Allright, I tried to simulate the kind of work I do - A2 size, 300DPI with many objects and many of them, MANY, with FX applied that makes the shapes appear organic, natural. Not razor sharp vector ish. 

• Tons of gropus with small shapes
  • Many if not most shapes have FX applied, usually these: slight blur, inner shadow, outer shadow and I use gradients, noise and transparency intensively

• Now, try pulling the nodes on the red shape at a zoom around 100 or 500% - no sweat
  • Pull at greater and greater zoom percentage and watch performance degrade - even when there is just ONE node visible on the screen and not much to see

It appears to me that your rendering engine is very good at redrawing the screen at 100 - 500% but tries to render a perfect blur and FX (even without HQ rendering enabled in settings) at 10.000% every time I move the node.

It is impossible to make precise and to make many adjustments at this zoom level late in the process of making this poster. I have to add FX to every object from the very beginning.

So my gut feeling is that it would be clever to:

• Optimize rendering of FX at high zoom levels
  • or/and add a "Disable FX" setting next to Outline view

performance 2.afdesign

On 8/5/2020 at 9:42 AM, Gabe said:

Thanks. Issue logged

Another observation. In this case I am drawing on top of a pixel photo. When I display it to use it a reference layer for a while (topmost layer) and draw a shape on top of it rendering is just a slow. Even though Designer doesn't have to display much else than monster sized big pixels and the simple shape. Zoom in this example is 6000%.

image.thumb.png.c7cf219044fc73131ab95ae0f51ff060.png

On 8/5/2020 at 9:42 AM, Gabe said:

Thanks. Issue logged

Root cause found I believe. Photo filters inserted in Photo but in a Designer file severely degrades performance at deep zoom levels in Designer.