You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings,

First, I love the affinity programs, and was priced so well, I bought all 3. I have been using Photoshop previously, and found the transition to affinity photo to be fairly easy. I understand Affinity photo is not photoshop, but forgive me if I reference back to it to make my comparisons in my questions.

So, my first question:

I like adding vignettes to my images. I created a black to transparent gradient along each edge. Each one has to be on a separate layer I've found. Is there any way to create all four on the same transparent layer?

Secondly, after creating them on 4 separate layers, I decided one didn't look quite right, so I went back to edit it. I selected the layer in the layers panel, and selected the gradient tool, but could find no way to edit what I had done. I selected the move tool a clicked on the gradient, but that just puts a bounding box on it, but leave me unable to edit it. I've searched the help and youtube videos, but can't find any answers. Can you go back to edit a gradient you've already created, and if so, how? I could find no other way then to delete it, and make a new one.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Hi

To create a non-destructive gradient

- use vector shapes
- or use the Fill Layer (Layer > New Fill Layer)
- or use a Vignette (Live Filters > Vignette)

Gradient.afphoto

Thanks for that video.

Apparently, you must use a shape first and fill the new layer with it. I was able to duplicate what you did at home.

However, I feel you should be able to just flood fill a transparent new layer, apply the gradient, and be able to go back and edit it. You cannot. Nor when you simply apply a gradient to a transparent new layer. 

I think you should be able to re-edit the gradient no matter which way you do it.

Thanks for showing me a way that works. I managed to find two ways that won't work!

21 hours ago, GlennVector said:

I like adding vignettes to my images. I created a black to transparent gradient (...)

Do you prefer gradients over the non-destructive "Vignette" filter with the option to modify its aspect ratio?
(...or even "Lighting" for more directional use and a movable center?)

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Filters/filter_vignette.html?title=Vignette
https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Filters/lighting_effects.html?title=Lighting effects

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I do.

Although I like the oval-ish type vignettes, I prefer creating linear gradients on all four sides of an image. In Photoshop, I could create all 4 on one transparent layer, which I can't seem to do in Affinity Photo. 

I can create a black-to-transparent gradient on each side on a new, transparent layer. After creating all 4 sides, I usually group them into a folder. However, if I wanted to go back to a particular layer (ungrouped) to edit a gradient, I've yet to discover how to do so. (see attached image)

Alternatively, I can make a rectangular selection, invert the selection, then feather it, and fill with color I can achieve the same effect as I am looking for.

I guess I am trying to reproduce the methods I used while using Photoshop, and finding different ways to do it.

cat.afphoto

45 minutes ago, GlennVector said:

I prefer creating linear gradients on all four sides of an image (...)
Alternatively, I can make a rectangular selection, invert the selection, then feather it, and fill with color I can achieve the same effect as I am looking for.

A rectangle, blurred, can also be used non-destructively, for instance like so:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

You can't have an editable gradient on a basic Pixel layer, it needs to be a Fill layer as telemax said above

Try the attached file, it has four rectangles with simple linear gradients which are all resizeable and editable. You can't have them all on one layer but does that matter?

Open an image and copy the vignette group to the layer above. Select the group and resize to cover the image. Edit as required. 

You can tidy up the layers by doing Arrange/Move inside LayersTidy.png.16edd6190252082d323aa7567f97d1ed.png Hope that helps

VignetteRectangle4.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10