You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug or feature - blurred outlines in Outline View Mode

Hi Serif

Bug or feature? My Designer test poster project grew rather and complex large so I prefer Outline View Mode now and then primarily for selecting objects easily and fast. After editing it in Photo to apply Photo filters for blurring elements in a natural way and then returning to Designer I am quite sure Designer slowed down in Outline View Mode. I can certainly hear the laptop fan from time to time now and feel lag sometimes.

Now I see blurred outlines where Photo filters are active. Designer shouldn't blur any outline in any scenario, should it? I imagine it is a bug. 

EDIT: I see it on several objects - not only objects with Photo filters. But not on all objects with blur applied. Disabling blur does not removed the blur from the outIne either. 😐

BONUS: Please add an option to disable all rendering of FX applied to elements. With hundreds of elements - perhaps over a thousand - I have to apply unique FX to many of them and I have to do it from the very beginning. It slows down rendering a lot and thus slows down my work. I use Retina view as a workaround but when zooming in everything turns to huge pixels. No good. It would be a significant performance booster without too much lost quality wise while working.

image.thumb.png.2afc0bd2f786f799c6bb9281f9ac5cb1.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff

Hi Jowday,
Thanks for reporting this. Filters shouldn't be active in outline mode. I've logged it to be looked at.

Regarding your last edit EDIT: I see it on several objects - not only objects with Photo filters. But not on all objects with blur applied. Disabling blur does not removed the blur from the outIne - without checking the file i have no way to know what's going on. Do you mind uploading it for inspection? I can provide an upload link ion you wish to keep the file private.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:52 AM, MEB said:

Hi Jowday,
Thanks for reporting this. Filters shouldn't be active in outline mode. I've logged it to be looked at.

Regarding your last edit EDIT: I see it on several objects - not only objects with Photo filters. But not on all objects with blur applied. Disabling blur does not removed the blur from the outIne - without checking the file i have no way to know what's going on. Do you mind uploading it for inspection? I can provide an upload link ion you wish to keep the file private.

Ahoy @MEB

Great, thanks. I observed it on a rather large drawing - I uploaded a minimal cutout of it here. Initially and confused I found it hard to figure out precisely was affected by these filters until I made this simpler version. Object in some group are spread out over the entire poster so it was a little confusing at first.

Enable or disable the filters inside the group clearly is the root cause. You can fiddle with the filters in the Layer MEB. Just one of whichever of these filters from Photo trigger the blurring of outlines of objects inside the group. I think it is just as simple as that. 🙂

The filters didn't add the partly realism to vector objects I was looking for so I will just replace them with regular blur for now.

Regards 🙂

EDIT: These filters caused the severe performance hit when zooming deeply into my drawing on single objects and editing single nodes I reported elsewhere.

blur vs no blur.afdesign

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
On 8/9/2020 at 3:29 AM, Jowday said:

Enable or disable the filters inside the group clearly is the root cause. You can fiddle with the filters in the Layer MEB. Just one of whichever of these filters from Photo trigger the blurring of outlines of objects inside the group. I think it is just as simple as that. 🙂

Thanks for the file Jowday. The issue with the filters being active in Outline View mode was already logged. Regarding the confusion about filters being applied to several objects - some without blur filters applied - this is also true but only for Outline View Mode, that's where the confusion comes from. If you disable Outline View (so regular view with the objects filled), the blur only affects the objects inside the group. If you enable Outine View, all objects inside the group and placed below it are affected by the filters. Disabling the filters while in Outline mode should let you see all outlines clearly (not blurred). This ends up being a moot point since the filters shouldn't have any effect in Outline View mode in first place.