You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Lag when typing

Apologies if this has already been flagged or fixed.

After I've been working on a document for some time, I'll start to encounter lag when typing in a text box. I found out last night that by hiding the interface (Tab) the lag goes away and I can type normally. I suspect this has to do with the document change history.

The documents I work on are in the 4-6 page range (newsletters), nothing very intensive.

Windows 10 v1909
Pentium G4560
16GB DDR4
nVidia 1050Ti

Publisher is installed on an SSD. The rest of the system is very snappy and runs very smoothly. No crashes, no lag. Designer and Photo run great.

I've also encountered this lag on a ThinkPad T420 w/ 8Gb RAM and SSD w/ Windows 10. It's definitely not a hardware issue as the two systems have completely different specs/hardware installed.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix?

Thanks

44 minutes ago, Farcrowd said:

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix?

I have seen issues before where one open panel slowed down the entire program - fx the appearance panel.

If you have time to spare try closing one panel at the time, type something and see if it helped closing the panel. One by one. Until the last one is closed. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I just updated to 1.8.4 to see if that alleviated it - nope.

It's the Hyperlinks panel.

• Updated to 1.8.4
  • Opened the last document I was using, and began typing. Noticed immediate lag.
  • Closed the History panel - no change
  • Closed the Hyperlinks panel - lag immediately went away.
  • Re-opened the History panel - no lag
  • Re-opened the Hyperlinks panel - no lag

Guess I'll keep the hyperlinks panel closed unless I need to use it.

2 hours ago, Farcrowd said:

I just updated to 1.8.4 to see if that alleviated it - nope.

It's the Hyperlinks panel.

• Updated to 1.8.4
  • Opened the last document I was using, and began typing. Noticed immediate lag.
  • Closed the History panel - no change
  • Closed the Hyperlinks panel - lag immediately went away.
  • Re-opened the History panel - no lag
  • Re-opened the Hyperlinks panel - no lag

Guess I'll keep the hyperlinks panel closed unless I need to use it.

Excellent, thank you @Farcrowd - we now have a work around for you and a clue for Serif to follow.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.