You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You’ve selected the white background instead of the crown. Try doing everything the same, but choose “Invert Selection” (from the Select menu) before you copy and paste.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

9 minutes ago, smadell said:

You’ve selected the white background instead of the crown. Try doing everything the same, but choose “Invert Selection” (from the Select menu) before you copy and paste.

tried that...  I copy/pasted a white square, no crown.

First thought, look at your Layers panel. Is there more than one layer? If so, you have to select the layer that contains the crown.

Second thought (and, I think, the more likely answer) is to once again look at your Layers panel and see what kind of layer you're trying to copy. It will almost certainly either be labelled as a (Pixel) layer or as an (Image) layer. If it's an image, you have to Rasterize it first. This changes the layer from a single object into a collection of individual pixels. Then, you can copy just the pixels you want.

1683645742_ImagevsPixel.jpg.63a98b93a09dbfb113dd60b7976a81d8.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

nope...acting insane...selection brush is completely different this time, too.  still removed the actual image.  which layer for copying didn't matter...didn't even get that far....  something is wrong...this was easy enough to do before...I just wanted to practice tracing

ugh...

1) How are you selecting the crown? Which tool are you using?

2) Are the crown and the white background all on the same layer?

You’d do well to attach a screen grab in your next post. Include (at least) the image itself and the Layers panel.Maybe also attach the Affinity Photo file that includes the crown (i.e., do a Save and attach the .afphoto file).

Use the flood select tool (W) and click on the white or whatever colour you want to remove, from the context menu set the tolerance to 5% and uncheck the contiguous option to select both the inner white and outer white, then press delete/backspace

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, smadell said:

1) How are you selecting the crown? Which tool are you using?

2) Are the crown and the white background all on the same layer?

You’d do well to attach a screen grab in your next post. Include (at least) the image itself and the Layers panel.Maybe also attach the Affinity Photo file that includes the crown (i.e., do a Save and attach the .afphoto file).

the selection tool brush...used to be a squiggly line and stretched out as you outlined.  now, just a straight line of marching ants.

I can no longer screenshot since stupid dropbox or I would have...

Start with this: if there is more than one layer, make sure they’re all pixel layers  - rasterize any layer that isn’t labelled (Pixel). Now, if there’s more than one layer, choose Flatten from the Layers menu. This will distill everything into a single Pixel layer. Do the selection on that layer.

Also, make sure it actually IS the selection brush you’ve chosen. A “straight line of marching ants” sounds like one of the marquee selection tools.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Erase White Paper?

This won't work well with the crown image (or most other images - it works best with line drawings) as it will remove parts of the crown as well as the background, so that the green shows through.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

You seem to be using the "flood select" tool, try using the "selection brush" (the one above it). The "flood select" works best with areas of flat colour, so you could use the "flood select" on the background and then invert the selection.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

You seem to be using the "flood select" tool, try using the "selection brush" (the one above it). The "flood select" works best with areas of flat colour, so you could use the "flood select" on the background and then invert the selection.

Yes...I've experienced the same issue with the selection brush.  How can that be the issue when the same thing has occurred?  At least you didn't mention pixel layer"...that seems to be a favorite bit of advice that is not the issue (as my layer is rasterised).

I feel like I'm losing my mind...  Even the simplest functions...no matter how many times I try...and nothing works right.  Frustrated beyond belief.

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

This won't work well with the crown image (or most other images - it works best with line drawings) as it will remove parts of the crown as well as the background, so that the green shows through.

I help by unmasking/selecting the basic shape, so I leave Erase White Paper only on complex (complicatedly selected) edges.
image.png.d739c04909dc49f6689830ec6597b179.png

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I help by unmasking/selecting the basic shape, so I leave Erase White Paper only on complex (complicatedly selected) edges.
image.png.d739c04909dc49f6689830ec6597b179.png

The problem that I'm having is that I can't even get the crown on there...it's blank.  Will this address that?

17 minutes ago, Nita Reed said:

The problem that I'm having is that I can't even get the crown on there...it's blank.  Will this address that?

Unfortunately, I don't understand exactly what your problem is - what's blank, what's to be address.

Take a look at this...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions