You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wacom tablet stopped working correctly on 1.8.4

Since I upgraded to 1.8.4, my wacom tablet stopped  working correctly. The tablet is configured to be in the mouse mode, not the absolute one. When I place  the cursor inside the Designer, it moves correctly and I am able to click on the UI buttons with no problems. BUT, whenever I try to draw something, the drawing does not follow the mouse pointer and starts drawing as if the tablet was configured to be in absolute mode.

Once I downgraded to Designer 1.8.3,this problem disappeared, so I can confirm it affects only version 1.8.4.

3 hours ago, Science Colors said:

Since I upgraded to 1.8.4, my wacom tablet stopped  working correctly. The tablet is configured to be in the mouse mode, not the absolute one. When I place  the cursor inside the Designer, it moves correctly and I am able to click on the UI buttons with no problems. BUT, whenever I try to draw something, the drawing does not follow the mouse pointer and starts drawing as if the tablet was configured to be in absolute mode.

Once I downgraded to Designer 1.8.3,this problem disappeared, so I can confirm it affects only version 1.8.4.

1.8.4 now uses high precision data from the Wacom tablet, in order to do that, we no longer support Mouse Mode (by default). If you want to revert to how 1.8.3 received input you can use the --legacy-wintab command line option.

21 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

1.8.4 now uses high precision data from the Wacom tablet, in order to do that, we no longer support Mouse Mode (by default). If you want to revert to how 1.8.3 received input you can use the --legacy-wintab command line option.

How do I go about reverting to 1.8.3 ? Every time I try it just says 'Setup Failed'  Do I need to uninstall the software and then download and install the 1.8.3 ?  

5 minutes ago, Liv R said:

How do I go about reverting to 1.8.3 ? Every time I try it just says 'Setup Failed'  Do I need to uninstall the software and then download and install the 1.8.3 ?  

Yes, normally it's just an uninstall then reinstall of the previous version.

What problem are you experiencing? The tablet problem? Have you tried using the --legacy-wintab option?

Just now, Mark Ingram said:

Yes, normally it's just an uninstall then reinstall of the previous version.

What problem are you experiencing? The tablet problem? Have you tried using the --legacy-wintab option?

Ok. Good to know.

Yes all I can do with My wacom tablet is move the cursor around the screen; I can't even use it to close the program.

No. I don't know what the --legacy-wintab option is or how to go about implementing it.

Just now, Liv R said:

Ok. Good to know.

Yes all I can do with My wacom tablet is move the cursor around the screen; I can't even use it to close the program.

No. I don't know what the --legacy-wintab option is or how to go about implementing it.

Do you have "Mouse Mode" enabled?

Any custom regions configured?

Windows Ink enabled?

You need to create a shortcut to the application, and add --legacy-wintab to the end of the shortcut. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Do you have "Mouse Mode" enabled?

Any custom regions configured?

Windows Ink enabled?

You need to create a shortcut to the application, and add --legacy-wintab to the end of the shortcut. 

Mouse Mode Yes enabled   Custom Regions: Not that I'm aware of or can find.  Windows Ink: Not enabled 

@Liv R

You need to right click the Designer shortcut and add it to "Destination" so it looks like this. Just add it to the end with a space between it and the "blah blah" path to Designer.exe

"C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer\Designer.exe" --legacy-wintab

Danish but similar:

image.png.5198ffb33399504d34a154ab8c15c3d7.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 minutes ago, Jowday said:

@Liv R

You need to right click the Designer shortcut and add it to "Destination" so it looks like this. Just add it to the end with a space between it and the "blah blah" path to Designer.exe

"C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer\Designer.exe" --legacy-wintab

Danish but similar:

image.png.5198ffb33399504d34a154ab8c15c3d7.png

@Jowday thank you this is helpful. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 11:41 PM, Mark Ingram said:

I've got the same problem with my wacom bamboo tablet now i have upgraded to 1.8.4 - i am not tech savvy so i need an idiots guide to how to apply the fix please 

2 hours ago, zxz1212 said:

I've got the same problem with my wacom bamboo tablet now i have upgraded to 1.8.4 - i am not tech savvy so i need an idiots guide to how to apply the fix please 

Try Installing the Beta of 1.8.5

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, zxz1212 said:

sorry, i forgot to say I am on Affinity photo - not Affinity designer 

In that case, try here instead:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, zxz1212 said:

sorry, i forgot to say I am on Affinity photo - not Affinity designer 

0530E797-271A-4A49-92B7-E1CDE9C08412.jpeg.8b8d590d81af91f9a3cea7b1d0946ec4.jpeg