You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make a simple "solid" paintbrush

I want to create a raster paintbrush that will give me a basic, solid line. By that I mean, whatever colour I have selected, it lays it down exactly like that, with no adjustments to opacity. So if I draw one line with this pen, then draw another crossing it, the colour at the intersection is the same as anywhere else.

In the attached screenshot, like the one on the right, not the one on the left.

I can't figure out which brush setting it is that determines this. The brush I've used for the lefthand cross, is "round brush" from the "basic" category. What setting would I need to change, to make it do what the righthand one does (which is "simple pen" from the "pens" category)?

784963301_ScreenShot2020-08-03at19_54_38.jpg.2f1e2cf57f78f8405b92ba81a263c2c5.jpg

At the risk of stating the obvious, the ‘Opacity’ control controls the opacity. A very low ‘Flow’ setting can also give you a semi-opaque result. Brushes in both the Basic category and the Pens category can be adjusted for opacity and flow.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

At the risk of seeming stupid... where do I adjust Opacity for the "Round Brush" in the basic category? If I go to "edit brush" there is no adjustment for Opacity that I can find. Flow is already at 100%. There is an opacity setting in the top bar that appears when a brush is selected... but this is already set at 100%.

9 minutes ago, lineweight said:

There is an opacity setting in the top bar that appears when a brush is selected... but this is already set at 100%.

Apologies for the confusion. That’s the opacity control I had in mind. (If you’re editing the brush the closest thing to opacity is the ‘Accumulation’ value, but that is also 100% by default.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

40 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Apologies for the confusion. That’s the opacity control I had in mind. (If you’re editing the brush the closest thing to opacity is the ‘Accumulation’ value, but that is also 100% by default.)

Yes...hence it's a bit of a mystery what it is that is adjusted to make it truly opaque.

Is "Wet Edges" enabled in the context toolbar?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

35 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Is "Wet Edges" enabled in the context toolbar?

Check that and switch it off and also check the Opacity setting in the colour panel is at 100%

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.