You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wacom not working with 1.8.4

Meee

I opened Affinity this morning and got the "New version available" popup. After downloading and installing, the healing brush tool crashes program when used with wacom tablet. If I use a mouse, it works properly.

3 hours ago, Meee said:

I opened Affinity this morning and got the "New version available" popup. After downloading and installing, the healing brush tool crashes program when used with wacom tablet. If I use a mouse, it works properly.

Which Wacom do you have? Do you have Windows Ink enabled in the Wacom properties? 

7 hours ago, Meee said:

It's an Intuos 4 Med (PTK-640). I didn't see an option for Windows ink in the properties. I'm assuming that is something In Windows 10. I have Windows 7.

Ah yes, that'll be in Windows 10 only. This is unrelated to your issue, but Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, so you should seriously consider updating your OS.

Do you have a mapped area setup, or does the tablet input map to the entire screen? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Wacom driver? 

same here, trying to use Wacom was total chaos, had to uninstall and reinstall 1.8.3

I have Win 8.1 , my wacom works excellent in all other programs and in 1.8.3  there is no reason I or anyone should have to accommodate 1 program that doesn't consider legacy versions of drivers and only assumes everyone wants to " push forward " with all changes. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

2 minutes ago, VShane said:

same here, trying to use Wacom was total chaos, had to uninstall and reinstall 1.8.3

I have Win 8.1 , my wacom works excellent in all other programs and in 1.8.3  there is no reason I or anyone should have to accommodate 1 program that doesn't consider legacy versions of drivers and only assumes everyone wants to " push forward " with all changes. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Hi, 1.8.4 adds high precision input support, so you should end up with more points, with better positions now.

Do you have Mouse Mode enabled? Or do you have a custom mapping area configured?

7 hours ago, VShane said:

Mouse mode = no idea. Why would this matter, why did Serif need to change that if it was fine in ALL prior versions?
I have no custom mapping area.

It matters because we have a few other customers who are reporting problems with pen input when they have "Mouse Mode" enabled in their Wacom preferences.

We changed it because people were experiencing problems with pen input. On top of that, as I explained in the previous post, the input is now much better in 1.8.4, compared to 1.8.3. Previously you were getting the input points equivalent to a mouse (but with pressure), but now you're getting high resolution pen data from the tablet. 

There is an option to override the behaviour and return to 1.8.3 style input, you can pass the --legacy-wintab command line parameter to the application.

Well, I wonder how many customers using an older tablet will now feel like the apps are "broken" because they cannot use it at all anymore VS other customers who had problems when they had "Mouse Mode" on (which I don't even know what it is). Maybe the first group will even be larger than the latter, so this will actually create more problems... However it's good to hear that you can revert the settings back, I haven't tried it yet and I hope that it works as intended. Unfortunately I'm one of those who cannot use the new update because of tablet issues.

It would seem evident that, from all the post in this Topic and other similar ones, that Affinity does not, in many cases, respond to pressure sensitive pen, despite Mark Ingram proclaiming that pen input is greatly improved. I even went back to NVidia driver 442.72 as suggested in another Topic, but to no avail.

So much for Beta testing.

11 minutes ago, Spud said:

It would seem evident that, from all the post in this Topic and other similar ones, that Affinity does not, in many cases, respond to pressure sensitive pen, despite Mark Ingram proclaiming that pen input is greatly improved. I even went back to NVidia driver 442.72 as suggested in another Topic, but to no avail.

So much for Beta testing.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. A couple of points if I can:

1) We do respond to pressure input, we always have done, and we continue to do so. Normally when customers are experiencing "no pressure" on their brushes, it's because they're using a brush with no pressure controller configured, and don't have "Force Pressure" enabled.

2) The NVIDIA driver is for your GPU, not your pen, so shouldn't make a difference here.

3) We do beta test, the first 1.8.4 beta patch was available on May 4th, that's 3 months of beta testing, and we haven't had a single report of pressure not working. We always welcome more beta testers, so if you'd like to help test future versions out, keep an eye on the beta forum - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/34-photo-beta-on-windows/.

I'm not having an issue with pressure not working. I don't have pressure on inside the application. Never have. I don't have mouse mode on. If I try to use my Wacom, the program freezes and after about 10 minutes I get fed up and force quit the application. 

I cannot draw on the canvas in mouse mode since the new update. I use mouse mode because my arm hurts when I use pen mode for too long.

Mark Ingram's solution works. Adding  --legacy-wintab parameter to the target shortcut works.

image.png.9dbcaedb680781cd631839d64a673c6a.png

• update Affinity Designer 1.8.4
  • Intuos 5 touch
  • Windows 10
  • Mouse mode does not work properly

Edited by Isabelle Lafontaine

16 hours ago, Isabelle Lafontaine said:

I cannot draw on the canvas in mouse mode since the new update. I use mouse mode because my arm hurts when I use pen mode for too long.

Mark Ingram's solution works. Adding  --legacy-wintab parameter to the target shortcut works.

image.png.9dbcaedb680781cd631839d64a673c6a.png

• update Affinity Designer 1.8.4
  • Intuos 5 touch
  • Windows 10
  • Mouse mode does not work properly

Still don't work for me. I've now lost my pressure pen and have to go to WARP for rendering since updating. Someone up there doesn't like me!

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/122124-affinity-photo-windows-customer-beta-185703/

"

Fixes

• Fixed tablet input problems by reverting the default input method to be Low Precision mode, the same as in 1.8.3. 
  • Added tablet input preference (in Tools section) to opt-in to High Precision mode, or Windows Ink mode (previous command line options --legacy-wintab and --disable-wintab are now ignored).

"

3 hours ago, hamairon said:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/122124-affinity-photo-windows-customer-beta-185703/

"

Fixes

• Fixed tablet input problems by reverting the default input method to be Low Precision mode, the same as in 1.8.3. 
  • Added tablet input preference (in Tools section) to opt-in to High Precision mode, or Windows Ink mode (previous command line options --legacy-wintab and --disable-wintab are now ignored).

"

Thank you so much hamairon.

Installed it and it looks good and promising. (Set the Tablet Input Method to "Low Precision"). I noticed the shortcut for changing the brush size/hardness is no longer Alt+ Right Click + Drag with the pen but Ctrl+Alt + Left Click + (horizontal/vertical) Drag, which I even like better (no danger any more of accidentally picking another color)! :)

Best regards

Emil