You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have run into this issue over the years numerous times, with different apps. Once I think I have it figured out, and move to new software, it happens again.

I have some text frames over a background. And it's as if the PDF can't understand the transparency background?

Here is a PDF export of a file I have created in Designer (MacOS).  I export as PDF/X-4, I get issue 1, I export as PDF (Printing), I get issue 2.

Can someone explain why this is happening, and what must I do to stop it? I was printing to a Lexmark office printer, I do not have the specific model number, but can get it later if needed. It has 4 trays, prints color, etc. A large printer.

Robby

Issued #1 -  Scan Aug 3, 2020 at 12_16.pdf

Issue # 2 - Scan Aug 3, 2020 at 12_11.pdf

• Staff

Hi @Robby Poole,

Sorry to see you're having trouble! This looks like a rasterisation and/or a transparency issue - I'm going to need to see your Affinity file to investigate this further. Could you please upload this to your reply here?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Just to be clear...... I don't know much about how this stuff works. 

After I laid out the design, I went to export, and exported as a PDF. I do not know if I need to edit color spaces, or anything else. I just exported as a PDF and printed on a work printer.

Robby

Probably your printer cannot handle the transparency.

You can try exporting to pdf and choose the More button, then there is a drop down Rasterize:
Select Everything in that drop down. Do the export and try printing again.

That setting obviates printing transparency issues by essentially making the design a bitmap.

Oh, and your file has a bleed amount set. If you intend on having bleed and say crop marks, you need to extend the background blue rectangle to the amount of bleed. Turn on Show Bleed from the View menu to see the bleed line.