You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Is there any way to see the list of fonts used?

Things like that happen :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 10:10 AM, saikat said:

I generally convert all the fonts to curve before sending the file (PDF) to printer to avoid missing fonts issue.

New A.P (convert) user here ... and low level DTP user.

Would someone explain this (see quote)?  I understand the part about the "missing font issue" but not how to do the "convert to curve before sending the file" part.

Another thing I don't understand is ..... as a long time InDesign user and recent convert to A.P. .... whenever I placed a PDF file in to InDesign is always came in perfectly. However, not the same with A.P. When I place a PDF in to A.P ... if I don't have the fonts that were used in the PDF file, the import (placed) uses substitue fonts and of course the outcome is not the same as the original PDF file. Why is that different than InDesign and is there a fix? This is a huge problem (and frustration) for me. Maybe it is just a basic thing I am missing with A.P. ?

I do a little Phonebook for the small community where I live. It was created with InDesign. All graphics were embedded. I saved the file as IDML then imported it in to A.P. Many of the advertisers had origianlly sent PDF's for their graphics (business cards for example). I have spent hours trying to fix those that had fonts I don't have. Huge issue for this switch over. In future .... when an Advertiser sends stuff which file format should I tell them to send other than PDF that will guarantee a non font issue.

Thanks for bearing wiht my newbie questions.

• Staff

Hi @Beacher,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To convert the text to curves when exporting a PDF click the More button in the Export dialog, then switch the Embed Fonts dropdown (almost on the bottom) from All Fonts to Text as Curves.
The PDF's look different when placed in Publisher because currently we don't support font embedding, thus, unless the fonts used in the PDF are installed in the system they will be replaced. The next version (1.9) will use a different way to display/render the PDF's on canvas which will maintain their appearance intact until we add support for font embedding.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

when exporting a PDF click the More button in the Export dialog, then switch the Embed Fonts dropdown from All Fonts to Text as Curves.

Could we have this feature in Affinity Designer also? It would be great help for sharing files with others.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Beacher,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To convert the text to curves when exporting a PDF click the More button in the Export dialog, then switch the Embed Fonts dropdown (almost on the bottom) from All Fonts to Text as Curves.
The PDF's look different when placed in Publisher because currently we don't support font embedding, thus, unless the fonts used in the PDF are installed in the system they will be replaced .... 

MEB .... thanks so much for explaining both Text as Curves & the PDF situation. Now I get it. The support on this forum is awesome.

Adding support for font embedding would be such a great upgrade for A.P.

One last question, what file format would be best to request from advertising clients when submitting a font & graphic Ad?  My A.P. document must become a PDF when I send it to the printer. Possibly Tiff's or uncompressed Jpegs I am thinking ??

• Staff

Hi Beacher,
The ideal would be PDF "ready for print". You can set it to be placed as pass through in the Affinity document meaning the original PDF file will be used no matter how it's displayed on the canvas/screen when you export the final document.

TIFF are not that common and JPG's are always compressed even when maximum quality is used.

MEB ... thanks for the submission question answer. I have always been nervous about having any document associated attributes existing as non embedded. It is just a reason to lose them (Murphy's Law 101). I always prefer everything to be embedded. ONE document period.

One last thing ... I am not completely understanding the "text as curves" thing ... I did a side by side comparison of a regular exported PDF and one that had the text converted to curves and I couldn't see any difference (using Apple's Preview App). What is the reason at the printer's end to get a PDF with the text exported to curves? I am not understanding what happens when text is exported as curves as opposed to not? As a general rule, should PDF exports from A.P always have the "Text as Curves" attribute checked?

When doing this Phonebook for the last 11 years using InDesign ... I would just embed all the assets and export a PDF to the printer and never had any problems. So now with A.P. I am finding a few hurdles, not insurmountable, but still.

2 hours ago, Beacher said:

I am not understanding what happens when text is exported as curves as opposed to not?

Text as curves cannot be copied (as text) from the PDF, if all you want to do is print a pdf then no problem but you will never be able to copy the names of people and paste them into a Word document. There are probably some issues with fine detail of fonts being lost but I am unaware of them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2020 at 5:33 PM, JimmyJack said:

In Designer, at the top of the font dropdown there are the following listing options: All, Recent, Used, Favorites. 
(Used does include fonts within symbols 🙃)

This answer (from 18 months ago) was JUST what I've been looking for. Much appreciated, JimmyJack. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

So, I read everything, tried everything (except using publisher since I don´t have it) but cannot find font used in .eps document opened with affinity designer.

The text that is in  curves I mean. The text not in curves display the fonts used normally. 

Is there any other option? I guess I can use one of those font sites that allow sharing the image so they find the font but I dont think that will work because when I tried that it always offer a bunch of fonts and sometimes none of the fonts is the one i´m looking for.

Hope you guys can help, thanks!

7 minutes ago, NunoF said:

The text that is in  curves I mean. The text not in curves display the fonts used normally. 

The text that is "in curves" does not have a font at all, as it's not actually text; that's why you can't find it.

7 minutes ago, NunoF said:

I guess I can use one of those font sites that allow sharing the image so they find the font

Yes, I think that's about all you can do.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1