You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Is there any way to see the list of fonts used?

Hi, 

I just wanted to check if there a way to see the list of fonts used in a Affinity Designer document?

I generally convert all the fonts to curve before sending the file (PDF) to printer to avoid missing fonts issue.
But some font's don't get converted with ctrl+select (eg. fonts used in symbols). 
Finding the list of fonts in the document would help to identify if there's still some fonts that are not converted. 

Thank you.

4 hours ago, saikat said:

Hi, 

I just wanted to check if there a way to see the list of fonts used in a Affinity Designer document?
...... (eg. fonts used in symbols)

In Designer, at the top of the font dropdown there are the following listing options: All, Recent, Used, Favorites. 
(Used does include fonts within symbols 🙃)

On 8/4/2020 at 3:03 AM, JimmyJack said:

In Designer, at the top of the font dropdown there are the following listing options: All, Recent, Used, Favorites. 
(Used does include fonts within symbols 🙃)

Thank you, JimmiJack.

Are you talking about the character panel?
I don't have the 'Used' in that drop down list (attached screenshot)

On 8/4/2020 at 2:45 AM, sfriedberg said:

If you also have Publisher installed, you can find that via Document > Font Manager (toward the bottom of the Document menu).  I don't find anything analogous in pure Designer.  The Export persona might be a good place for it.

Thanks you. Yes I noticed it in Publisher was looking for something similar in Designer.

affinity designer missing fonts list 01 2020-08-05.png

• Staff

Hi saikat,
For the fonts used, select the artistic or frame text tools, go to the font dropdown in the context toolbar (on the top left) and check the tabs on top of the list - one of them is Used.
For the missing fonts go to the Character panel, click the first dropdown on the top left and switch it from All Fonts to Missing Fonts (it's visible in the screenshot posted above this reply).

Thank you, MEB and Lagarto. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Really appreciate it.

@Lagarto: Thanks for your other method. I used to do that when I used Acrobat earlier. But due to their subscription based licencing policy I had to stop using any product from that company.
It was very difficult as I used them for almost 2 decades... but now that I've managed to do it (thanks to the Affinity and BlackMagicDesign teams), I don't install anything from that company including their bloated free readers. That's  one of the reason I was looking for alternative ways to find what are the fonts used in a PDF.

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

If you're on WIndows, you can use Foxit Reader or PDF-XChange Light, which both list the fonts used in a PDF document in free versions of these apps.  

There is also a command line utility PDFfonts - https://www.experts-exchange.com/videos/2315/Xpdf-PDFfonts-Command-Line-Utility-to-List-Fonts-Used-in-a-PDF-File.html - for Windows, Linux and macOS that you can use to list fonts within a PDF (have not tested it, though).

Thanks for those references.

Adobe's free Acrobat Reader will also show the fonts in a PDF file via the File > Properties menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dali_ said:

Hi.  I cannot get my version of Publisher (1.8.4) to display the Font Panel showing "All, Recent, Used, Favourites' – as indicated by MEB and Lagarto.  What am I doing wrong? 

What @MEB described was the Font pulldown in the Context Toolbar, which should work when you have the Frame Text Tool or the Artistic Text Tool selected:

image.png.eb51f1b1c6ba701df9c66d5845e39c35.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, Lagarto said:

They are also available in the Character Panel

Except for Used, which is in the Context Toolbar pulldown but not in the Character panel.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, Dali_ said:

I am doing as you say, but I cannot see the 'pull-down' as you show, no matter what I click on.

So, if you click the pulldown arrow to the right of the font name, nothing happens? If so, that's weird.

image.png.a86207a16e7210dab81dc31809531b65.png

-- Walt
PC: