You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - pictures getting auto-placed way down

Hello,

So yesterday I've started my second project in Affinity Publisher and soon something felt wrong. Every time I put a picture into the program (with Strg+V) it appears in random places much lower than the current active sheet. For example: I want to add a picture to page 5, have that page selected, click on the empty space, do Strg+V. Then I usually zoom out to find the picture at like page 8, where it is not even visible. It also seems like the difference gets bigger and bigger the higher the page count gets.

This is really strange and annoying for me and I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong? 

I have already restarted the program and just installed the latest update - the problem still exists...

Any ideas what causes this to happen?

question affinity3.PNG

question affinity example2.PNG

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The probable answer is that you didn't have the page selected that you thought you had, when you did the Paste.

In the Pages panel, to select a page (make it current) you need to double-click on it. If you only single-click then it becomes selected only for Pages panel operations. If it is the current page then it will have a gray border around it in the Pages panel (not a blue border), and it will show in the Page Selector at the bottom left of the window.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hmmm. How about a screenshot just after you've copied, but just before you paste. Then one just after you paste. Then we can see what's happening. It would help to have the Pages panel and the Page Selector (bottom left corner) visible, as you have in your earlier shots.

Also, what version of Publisher are you using, and where did you buy it? 1.8.4 was just released.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Here are the Screenshots, as you see the picture pops up at the right as a layer, but I always have to go search for it down there (it also seems to be way deeper than the first few times that happened).

I did some experementing: inserting it at page 1 results in page 1, pasting at page 2 -> gets in page 3, pasting at 3 -> page 5, pasting at 4 -> 7, pasting at 5 -> 9,... so yeah, the deeper it gets the more annoying this bug is.

Just before creating the post here I installed the 1.8.4 version and I think that's the version I am using right now, but is there a way to check to make sure?
I bought it on the official website when it was 50% off a few months ago.

1.PNG

3.PNG

2.PNG

I have to ask, is "Strg+V" the same as Command + V on the Mac or Control + V on Windows? In other words is this the keyboard shortcut for Edit > Paste in the menus.

I also have to ask, from where are you copying the picture?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Strg+V = Control+V, they are exactly the same, it's just called "Strg" in german and I forgot to translate. Results are btw. the same if I RightClick/Paste.

I download the pictures, open them and then copy them with RightClick/Copy.

More questions,

Which application do you use to open the pictures? What are the x + y co-ordinates from the Transform panel if they are opened in an Affinity application? I ask because the pasted image is at almost 8 Meters for the Y location in your most recent screen shot, it makes me wonder what the copied x + y co-ordinates are.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @Lehrer5,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

I'd like to check if this is document specific - can you please try creating a new multi-page document, perhaps 6 pages long, and then paste the image on any page - does this paste in the expected location?

If the above works, then it's likely specific to your current .afpub file. Can you please upload this, alongside any linked files to the below link for me, then let me know once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/oJBrlBpBbw3gjiUaJj2A

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Oh cool, Support is here :)

I have just created a new document, where I tried placing a picture on page 1, 2 and 4. The ones from page 2 and 4 again got in wrong places as you'll see (I didn't move them after pasting them).
I uploaded this new file + picture because the original document has like 300MB lol.

Btw. I just checked when opening - I'm using the current 1.8.4 version.

I also just tried switching to Affinity Photo/Designer - got the same wrong results.

Edit: I tried creating a bunch of files with A4/A5 or double page settings - the bug happens in every one of them.
For picture opening I use the standard windows program. 

Drag and drop works fine btw with the new files (for the original file the photos are in ZIPs that I am deleting afterwards, drag&drop apparently doesn't work from ZIPs so that's why I copy&paste them this way)

Edited by Lehrer5
added some info

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

I can certainly see the issue here, but I'm not able to replicate it yet. Just to confirm your setup;

I have the JPEG file provided, and I have zipped this into a .zip file. I then open that .zip and without extracting I double click the JPEG to view it in 'Photos' the Windows 10 preview app.

Now, I right click on the image preview and select copy, then select any page in Publisher and CTRL+V (Paste). Is that correct?

Using this above workflow, with your image and document and I'm still unable to replicate this, my apologies. Could you please provide a screen recording of your workflow that causes this? Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Your description is correct. 

I don't have a screen-recording program on my pc and even if I doubt you'd see anything new compared to the screenshots I already uploaded. I could probably record the process with my phone, but to be honest it's barely worth the effort for me anymore - I've already finished my work in that document and for my next projects I'll download and copy the images in a seperate folder from which I'll drag and drop them into affinity.

Thanks for your effort though.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know - I certainly understand. 

I'll be sure to keep this in mind, should this behaviour crop up on the forums again. If you do have any further issues please don't hesitate to post a new thread :)

Please note -

Many thanks!